How long after a miscarriage do you actually start bleeding?

I didn't know that if it was right away or could take weeks.

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Right away.

• With my first, they knew something was wrong and I bleed within the week. With my second, they knew something was wrong and I didn't bleed. My body wanted to hold on :( So I had to have a D&C. If you are asking for personal reasons, I offer you my apologies. You will be in my thoughts.

Answer by jeano23 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• it depends on the person, when I lost my son I never bled, but when I had an ectopic last yr I bled for like a month before I found out I was even pregnant

Answer by 3lilindians at 10:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It varies from situation to situation.. It's a matter of when the signal is sent to the brain to release the hormones that cause the cervix to open up and pass the pregnancy.

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I bled with the first one and that was the indication that something was wrong and ended up having to have a D & C. With the second one they couldn't find a heartbeat and suggested that I get a D & C, but I just couldn't do it if there was some chance that they were wrong. With that one I started bleeding in about a week and then I miscarried naturally. I am so sorry for you loss. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions or just want to talk. Be strong!

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I never knew I was miscarrying until I started bleeding both times.

Answer by khedy at 12:16 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It really depends it could be right away and for some it is months

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:09 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It's different with every woman. For me I spotted until I actually miscarried, and after that I had a light flow for about a week and a half to two weeks. I was able to miscarry naturally, while some will need medical intervention.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. (((hugs)))

Answer by Joelygirl at 3:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2011