How can we expect African Americans to be equal when they were denied reading/writing for years?

Seriously. If you think about it, really think about it...how can the trajectory for knowledge and intellect possibly be equal at this point?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Give me a break. I think YOU are being a bit ignorant. Maybe the ignorant should be the ones treated differently instead.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• We touched on this in my American History Class. AA people were freed in the 1860's upon the 13th amendment, the equality didn't come for years after, maybe 50-60 years ago, but none the less in order to move forward we as black/african american's should move forward and remember that what happened to our parents, grand parents, and great grand parents, etc is hopefully not the case with us and we have the option to take advantage of the changes that have been made.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I guess I am confused. You mean because of the schools in the inner city and such? I agree to an extent. But I don't think it stops at AA kids, I think many children don't get a proper education becasue of lack of funding all over the country!! Not just the inner city!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 11:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Wow, busting out my popcorn for this one!!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• THEY WERE IDIOTS PEOPLE ARE SMARTER NOW
    paulacox48

Answer by paulacox48 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Because now "they" are provided the same education as everyone else
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Are you kdding me? Americans today can not change what happened in the past, nor should we be asked to do so. You are talking about a time way before I was born and most likely you were born. I am sad that there was a period of time in this country when everyone, meaning AMERICANS, were not treated equal, however, it is 2011 not 1911. You as a person, in this country, can only change what happens in your life. So, if you want to have an education, a future, only you can make that happen. It is time in this country that we look forward to OUR future instead of looking back and trying to change something that we had no control of.
    9tigger

Answer by 9tigger at 11:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Because NOW you aren't denied any of these things. All children, white black, legal or not, are given free education in this country. If it is that important that your children do better, work with them yourself. Schools will not do everything.
    The playing field is vastly more equal now, and the opportunities are there for all to take.
    Mediocrity and failure cannot based on something that happened a hundred years ago. It is because of what is happening now, in our lifetime. The AA living now are not the ones that were denied education. And are not first generation of these people. Everyone has the opportunities now to succeed, but what you do with them is what makes the difference. Don't blame history for personal failure.
    Anonymous

• i can already tell that most african americans are a hell of a lot smarter than you
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:20 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! im just gonna sit back and watch this question go down the shitter all day...........mmmmm popcorn! lmao!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 8:13 AM on Jan. 12, 2011