Bossy grandmother...what do I do?

I rarely go to my SO's mom's house, but tonight I took my dd, because she had a dental appt nearby, and she invited her son and us to dinner. No problem. I don't like her very much, but I'm polite about it.

Well, at least two-three times during the visit, she seemed to be "bossing" my daughter around. I don't like that. If anyone's going to give my daughter directions, it's going to be her father or me. We had this same problem with her before the baby was born-her trying to boss my SO and us around, trying to inject her opinions into our parenting decisions, etc.

Am I making a big deal out of this, or do you think I should mention it to my SO?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• honestly, i wouldn't worry about it too much if you don't see her too much. if you see her like once a week then i would say something, but not if a visit is rare..
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 8:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would talk to your SO about it. Try to ignore her when she does act like that and maybe even teach your dd to ask you if she should when grandma tells her to do something, This may give grandma the hint that you are in charge and even the child knows it
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I feel your pain. My mother used to do this, even when we were living with her (finally moved out this past July and crossed state lines).

Tell her that it's not her responsibility to tell your daughter what to do. YOU are the parent in this situation, not her. When she's able to keep her mouth shut, you'll go over there again. Until she can learn to keep her trap shut and let YOU do YOUR job as a parent, you won't be back.

What does your husband do about this? Have you mentioned how much it bothers you?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Talk to your SO about it. It's his place to talk to her about that. She needs to be reminded that she's not her child. If she has a problem of some kind, she should talk to you or your SO.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:21 AM on Jan. 12, 2011