Is it ok for a 7 year old to be closing her bedroon door?

My 7 year old daughter been closing her door for awhile now and really don't know how should i take it. I go and check on her every now and then but its weird to see that she is really closing her bedroom door. is this anything to be concern about?

strongnbrave

Asked by strongnbrave at 11:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She wants privacy, not a big deal. If it is while she is sleeping, everyone should sleep with their doors closed because it is safer if there is a fire.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My son does that, but he is 4. And I know he is trying to hide something when he does it, lol. I would just continue to check on her once and awhile. It seems pretty normal to me.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 11:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• i noticed she does more at night but sometimes in the day time also.
    strongnbrave

Comment by strongnbrave (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Mine does all the time - if he leaves it open we make him turn his music down. There's nothing more dangerous than legos to step on in there. Does she get mad if you open it? Or has she done something to make you not trust her?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:00 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• We all sleep with our doors shut. My kids are 2 and 5, I not sure why anyone would have an issue with it.
    jonellg

Answer by jonellg at 12:02 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• hmm...well has she been doing anything else lately thats new??? if your really consered and want to know what shes doing you should sit her down one on one and let her know your not going to be mad at her or anything and see if she will tell you anything...if she doesnt or if she locks up and gets mad this may sound bad but if you have a digital camrea with a video camrea set it up in her room and record her,just to settle ur conserns...i wouldnt recommened this but you really do sound consered about what your daughter is doing when her door is shut... please dont get mad for what i said....i know she needs her privacy but ur still her mom and shes still a young child...
    opalmama04

Answer by opalmama04 at 1:59 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't get what's wrong with doors shut. My kids play in their rooms (alone or with each other and even friends) with their doors shut. Heck, half the time I tell them to shut their doors because they make so much freaking noise. And we all sleep with our doors shut at night. I was taught it's a fire hazard to have your doors open at night (makes it easier for the smoke to travel). I've always slept with my door closed, even as a kid.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:18 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Doors are closed for all at night. My older kids started closing their doors when they didn't want to be disturbed by the other one. My DD(now 17) was usually playing with a friend or drawing and DS(almost 16) was usually reading or playing on his gameboy.

Now DD5 is always with me but she has Down syndrome and needs more supervision than most kids her age.

i wouldn't worry about your daughter. She's starting to establish some personal boundaries. Completely age-appropriate.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 10:56 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• this is going to sound weird, or bad, or whatever, but has "discovered" herself yet? my cousins daughter discovered herself early on, but maybe this is it? not to be too personal, but when you say she started shutting her door it made me think of this.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My daughter yells 'Privacy!" and shuts the door when she needs to change or gets really upset, usually at her brother. The bedroom is her 'cooling off' room.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011