I think something we will all will agree on being a good thing... Law passed to ban picketing at Tucson funerals

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41027365/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/?gt1=43001

"PHOENIX — Arizona legislators quickly approved emergency legislation Tuesday to head off picketing by a Topeka, Kan., church near the funeral service for a 9-year-old girl who was killed in the Tucson shootings.

Unanimous votes by the House and Senate sent the bill to Gov. Jan Brewer, who signed it Tuesday night. It took effect immediately.

Without specifically mentioning the Tucson shooting, the law prohibits protests at or near funeral sites....."

"The four-paragraph Arizona bill makes it a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail to picket or conduct other protest activities within 300 feet of a funeral or burial service — about the length of a football field. The prohibition applies from one hour before the event to one hour after"

Too bad it couldn't be more of a distance though.

Charis76

Asked by Charis76 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think this is great!!! But my question would be, why now? They have been allowed to picket at how many military funerals!! I think this "church," should be banned from funerals but they couldn't be stopped before now?
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 11:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It's a good thing but why didn't this happen sooner and in all states. These people have been picketing soldier's funerals for quite awhile.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I just can't imagine why anyone would want to picket this or any other funeral! I totally agree it's a good thing..For crying out loud, can't people respect the victim and their families at such a horrible time!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Also according to the article...

"Numerous states have passed laws restricting protests at funerals after members of the Westboro church began protesting at the funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Arizona legislation is modeled on an Ohio law that was upheld by the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Sinema said"

Charis76

Comment by Charis76 (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I just don't see how it's productive to picket a funeral. And I hate that it's done in the name of God. All of us Christians do not act like that or think that way - and it really stinks to be placed under the same scope as those idiots.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 11:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I am hoping its a move in the right direction..... I am curious as to how the human shield is going to work for them too. I said before if these nuts came close to where I live to do that I would be then happy to get a sitter and counter them.
    Charis76

Comment by Charis76 (original poster) at 11:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Thank goodness!
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Everyone deserves some privacy.
    These poor people have been through enough...
    lisafree2

Answer by lisafree2 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I think it's a great way to handle the Phelps clan. They still get to practice their First Amendment rights, but there is the buffer of space to keep them from getting too close. Now, those human shields still need to be sure that they get there before the Phelps clan does, so that the can take that 300 foot line. . . but it's a step in the right direction.

As my favorite bumper sticker in Kansas says:  Ph*ck Phelps.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Amen to this!!!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:06 AM on Jan. 12, 2011