I have a six month old son and I am unsure if I am feeding him too much food or maybe not enough. I was wondering what other mother's feeding schedule's are like for their six month old. Also what is their napping schedule like.

feeding and napping schedule for a six month old.

EThoma

Asked by EThoma at 11:02 AM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I formula feed. My son is a few days shy of 6 months BUT here goes. He gets his bottle (8oz) and his bowl of cereal with fruit in the morning, lunch is a bottle (8oz), dinner is a bottle (8oz) with cereal mixed with a veggie. Then another bottle (8oz) before bed. ALL moms do it different. What works for my baby may not be what your baby wants/needs.
    WImom2

Answer by WImom2 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• when my dd was 6 months...(only a month 1/2 ago) we had just started tasting baby food..... i still nursed every 3 or 4 hours. and she took a 15 minute nap every couple of hours......
    tierrarutledge

Answer by tierrarutledge at 11:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I have a 6 month old daughter and I feed her 4 times a day 8 oz. bottles. My daughter gets up and eats at 8 am ( after sleeping 11 hours straight through the night). She then naps from about 10-11 or 11:30. Lunch at 12 and then big nap from 2 -4. At 4 she eats again and then she gets another nap from about 6-7 or 7:30. Dinner at 8 pm and bed at 9 pm. It is a great schedule that works great for us and her.
    A GREAT book you may want to read and that I swear by is "On Becoming Baby Wise" by Gary Ezzo. My daughter has slept through the night since she was 7 weeks old and she is a very happy baby. We have never had sleep deficieny as parents.
    Good luck
    christine972

Answer by christine972 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• My baby is now 10 months but I have 4 older children. I started baby foods, baby cereal at about 4 months and continued until 1 yr. A typicall day in my home for my 6 month old babies..would be as follows...
    1.8am..baby cereal or oatmeal ..until full.Then 6 oz bottle
    2.11:30am...boiled potatoes or carrots or baby food mixed with baby cereal...followed by 6 oz bottle.(nap time)
    3.3:30 pm snacks...grahm crackers, ritz crackers,ect...and 8 oz bottle
    4.6:00 pm dinner....whatever we are having that the baby can eat, boiled vegetables mostly..or 2 jars baby food with cereal in it...followed up by bottle with 6-8 oz..
    5.9:00 pm small baby food w/cereal and 8 oz bottle...bedtime

Hope this helps...I dont think you can feed a baby too much they will stop when they are full...mine usually gag! LOL and if you were underfeeding I believe they would be pretty grumpy..you would know...

Take care,
    Crystal
    BUSYMAMA5

Answer by BUSYMAMA5 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• You are probably not feeding him too much. Offer and don't refuse if he wants to eat just because it isn't "time" (as suggested in Babywise) Does he eat solids, or exclusively formula or breastfed? Napping "schedules" and eating "schedules" vary by baby. But most likely a nap in the am and a nap in afternoon (one usually longer than the other).
    I highly recommend against using Babywise and suggest you research it before using his method.
    EiEiO

Answer by EiEiO at 12:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• "On Becoming BabyWise" by Gary Ezzo is a horrible book that has been pulled off many retailers' shelves because it is DIRECTLY linked to beatings, starvation, and deaths in infants and children.

Ezzo tauts himself a doctor, but only in religion..not in parenting. His own grown children have nothing to do with him because of his "parenting." He is an evil, sick man..beware those books!

www.ezzo.info for more information..this is serious.

catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 1:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• At six months old, babies should be nursed on demand. Solids are not needed at all. Breastmilk meets all of babies needs for the first year, sometimes longer.

If a mother insists on giving solids, it should be only when baby has hit all of the "ready" milestones. Breastmilk should always be the meal, and solids are merely for experimentation in between nursings.

As for napping, simply nurse baby to sleep..your baby will let you know what the natural schedule is!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 1:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I think it is going to be really different from child to child. I know its hard to trust that your child will eat when they're hungry (and I had a very stubborn eating baby) but they will. My daughter is almost 3 and only 23lbs, where my girlfriends baby has been 16-18lbs at 6 months and could out eat my 2 year old. He once he started walking, he really thinned out and looks great, and my daughter is perfectly healthy and safe, although a little skinny, so I'm sure your baby is doing fine.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• If you want to know what the "Experts" say about your question, visit www.babycenter.com. (It's free) You can enter your son's birthday & they will give you statistics & "norms" for physical development, milestones, eating patterns, social development, etc. It's a GREAT resource.
    My son is almost 2, so I don't really remember what he was doing at 6 months... mom brain, sorry.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Jamie at 6 months had yo baby for breakfast around 7 or 8 and somewhere between that and lunch he would finish a bottle, 4-6oz (he self weaned at 6 months). at lunch fruit and cereal between lunch and afternoon snack a bottle...afternoon snack...sometimes another yo baby sometimes a veggie sometimes a bottle of juice (if its been hot and i think he needs the hydration)...dinner veggie and cereal...naps are usually 10ish to 11:30 ish and 4ish to 5:30 ish...sometimes he will go down around 1 for 30 min or so...
    recently he has seemed still hungry after yo baby so i have been giving a multi grain cereal with the yo baby...
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 10:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2008