How would you suggest taking the bottle away from an 18 month old?

popzaroo

Asked by popzaroo at 12:15 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we are doing this right now with my 20month old and its hard because daddy would rather her have a bottle than fight the tears for a sippy so team work and just keep pushing for a sippy cup there is a wide range i went to the store and bought one of each and tried 1 a day on her she liked the one with the straw but still would rather a bottle lol
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 12:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Cold turkey. Just don't strip the child away from the one thing she/he is clinging on to. If she/he doesn't have another safety item, take your time. As long as you're not putting milk in the bottle at nap time you're fine. Let the child have a safety item.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:17 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• throw it away
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:18 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If you're transitioning to a sippy cup, start small...meal time. Encourage the sippy during the day, during outings...and depending on if you use it for night times...only bottle at night or just as a comfort thing until there is no more need for a bottle.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 12:18 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I say cold turkey as well. Replace it with something. Like a lovey or stuffed animal or something that is comforting. Once they learn they are a "big kid" and they don't need it anymore they will be fine :) Good luck :)
    wyattsmomma77

Answer by wyattsmomma77 at 12:30 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Let the child pick out a sippy in a store. Put water only in the bottle and milk in the sippy so the child will not want the bottle anymore.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Cold turkey. Really no other way. I learned my lesson with my 1st child as he had a bottle until he was 2. All of m kids were off by 12 months. It is soooo much easier that way. My 18 month old twins don't have a clue anymore what a bottle is for. They gave them up at 12 months.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I should have said all of my other kids were off by 12 months.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

Same here. He drinks from a sippy in the daytime, he only takes the bottle at night. Daddy has to get up early for work and doesn't want to have to put up with the crying, plus he says it won't hurt him regardless of what the experts say. He says he'll let us know when he's ready. Well, that's fine and dandy--but I don't want him taking a bottle with him to school! LOL!
    popzaroo

Comment by popzaroo (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Jan. 13, 2011