mothers to preemie babies

how many ounces did they eat in the first two weeks?

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 12:23 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 35 weeker (6lbs at lowest) was nursing about every 3 hours from birth. No idea how much per feeding... but they don't need very much, just an oz or two.

If you're going to give expressed milk, be sure to do it by spoon or with a dropper until baby has nursing REALLY well established (can do it with their eyes closed, kinda thing).

If you need rest, go get it! Lay baby down next to you, nurse her to sleep and then go to sleep yourself... if she wakes wanting to eat again, latch her back on and go back to sleep! Nursing is not a hindrance to getting enough sleep, it's what enables most moms to get enough. Especially with newborns! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:08 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My son was 4.14lbs and he was only eating 1 1/2oz. By the time he was about 6lbs he was only eating about 2-3oz. My son was 5 weeks early.
    wyattsmomma77

Answer by wyattsmomma77 at 12:26 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• That should be fine. Babies who are premie don't eat a lot at first. They like to eat a little bit but they like to sleep after about 2-3oz so their bodies can grow. My son slept all the time. Sometimes he couldn't even finish a feeding cause he would just pass out. Get some sleep mommy!!! Get that soda out of your system!
    wyattsmomma77

Answer by wyattsmomma77 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Look at his fist..his stomach is no bigger than his fist. So, not much will fit in at a time. Whether you were feeding Breastmilk or formula, he is supposed to only eat a tiny amount at a time, but, eat very often.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My son didn't eat for the first few weeks.. he was born with gastroschisis, and he couldn't eat until after the final bowel reduction
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 1:17 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I am talking 6 lbs range child..
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• mine was 19 days early... he is much smaller then my first or any other children on either side of the family so i am unsure. tonight i pumped because he is so small he isn't drinking all that i've got going on here lol... i also went banana's and had three mountain dew sodas in a row ... do not ask me what possessed me to think that that was a good idea.. so the milk i have is pre-soda freakout... it was just after a feeding that i pumped so i dont have a ton, but i do have 3 oz. I am hoping that is enough to fill him for a few hours so i may sleeeeppp lol. delicious sleeepppp
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 12:32 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• thank you everyone!!
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2011