Disposables: Do you dump it or seal it?

I was told by a cloth diaper pal that the soiled diapers need to be dumped in the toilet before sealing them up for the trash can. First time I've heard this after having four kids.

I have always just sealed, bagged, then placed in the trash can...I've attempted the dumping process and it only ends in back splash.

For disposable diapers...do you dump it or seal it?

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 1:02 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• You said she was a cloth diaper pal. I had a friend who had a service come for her cloth diapers and they requested the diaper be rinsed qucikly in the tiolet. It made sense to me. I used disposables and, yes, would often dump it to cut down on odors.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:41 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It is actually a law here but i dont know what they would do if the cops found you were doing it. Its because feces shouldn't be in landfills because they can leak and it is really bad for the water. But yes I do dump them if it is easily done.
    xredstarsx

Answer by xredstarsx at 1:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I haven't heard of that with disposables. I've heard it with cloth, of course. I HAVE shaken out a disposable if it could easily be done, simply for the sake of not stinking up the diaper pail as fast, but that was never a common thing. Weird.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:15 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Before we switched to cloth I would dump if possible to avoid smells.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 1:19 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• lol that's crazy what your friend said, sorry. No, I don't dump it and I bet no one else here does either! A lot of times you CAN'T dump it(diarrhea or stuck on) Why waste time doing that and water by flushing?

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:08 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• The faeces can leak, contamminating hte water, which is why it's illegal to dispose of biological waste in a landfill.

I always did as much as possible. It's illegal for a reason, and that's to keep everyone safe, not to make life difficult.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 6:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• no! i take diaper off, fold it, and throw in trash can.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 8:06 AM on Jan. 12, 2011