Nicotine test?

My husband's company just changed to a new insurance carrier. He had to do a health test and received a discounted rate for it. One of the requirements to receive the discount was that he didn't smoke. I think they did a nicotine test or something to make sure. Anyways, my husband does not smoke cigarettes but he does smoke a cigar about once or twice a year. They said that they will do random tests through out the year to make sure. Anyways, we are going on a trip next month and on the trip is when he smokes one of his cigars. I highly doubt that he will be chosen for the random test. But my question is, will him smoking 1 cigar show up on a nicotine test? How long will the nicotine from the one cigar stay in his system?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Health

• No idea. I would just stop smoking completely.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't know the answer to your exact question, but a while back, I was in a networking group and one of the members was an insurance agent. He was explaining to our group that even if someone just smokes an occasional cigar, they are considered a smoker for the purposes of a life insurance policy. He said that if something were to happen to someone who had a non-smoker policy and nicotine showed up in their system, their benefit could be denied. So I don't know the specifics on your question, but the SAFE thing to do would be for DH to not smoke again period if he's going to carry non-smoker policies.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:18 AM on Jan. 12, 2011