How contagious is viral meningitis?

The father of my preschooler's classmate is currently hospitalized for viral meningitis and an unknown bacterial infection.

Should I be concerned that the classmate could give it to my preschooler? Should I keep my son out of school?

(My son doesn't seem to have a strong immune system. He catches everything and has a tendency toward high fevers)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Health

• Sounds like something to Google
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• it really is not contagious and is much less severe than bacterial meningitis which is extremely contagious and deadly.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:13 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i've heard its pretty contagious.but thats just what ive heard. but maybe if your childs classmate dosent have it yet to spread, your child would be ok? do some research on the net. i LOVE emergen-c. my 10 yr old & i take it here & there & it keeps him healthy even with all the sick kids in his class! but i know if your son is young, he couldnt take the adult kind. but i saw online that they have tablets i think, of that now for children. so it should do just as good of job. check around for that. its made especially for boosting the immune system. & honestly i think it really works great!
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 1:13 AM on Jan. 12, 2011