How contagious is viral meningitis?

The father of my preschooler's classmate is currently hospitalized for viral meningitis and an unknown bacterial infection.

I don't know whether the classmate has been tested for it.  Should I be concerned that the classmate could give it to my preschooler? Should I keep my son out of school?

(My son doesn't seem to have a strong immune system. He catches everything and has a tendency toward high fevers)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Health

• I think you are in the good. The strongest symptom is an extreme headache. I've had it twice. Once when I was 8 months pregnant, baby was born fine. 2nd time, I stayed home because I knew what it was. I did wear a mask the 2 days when it was at it's worse because I was still home with my 4 kids, but everyone was fine. I think your son is too.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:20 AM on Jan. 12, 2011