Why does my mother do this?

My mom is telling everyone that my dad has cancer. He has a spot on his retina that one doctor thinks might possibly be retinal melanoma but the doctor said that the kind it would be would take decades to do anything and he'd die of old age first. Yet she goes around telling everyone my dad for sure has cancer and they haven't even done any tests on it yet. Also when my sister in-law had a possible miscarriage (it was never confirmed) my mom went around telling everyone she lost a grandbaby and put a poem on the wall about it.

Why does she do this why does she make a huge deal to other people and exaggerate the truth? There are more cases than this. I just don't get why she does this. I really would like to understand her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• Maybe that's her way of protecting her feelings and emotions. Like expecting the worst outcome so that if the worst does happen, she will not be in shock and will have prepared herself.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It is her way of dealing with things. Most people would think these things but hide them, block them, make light of them. She does the oposite. People handle things differently. Know where she is coming from and accept.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I understand the thinking the worse is going to happen but why go around spreading exaggeration to everyone. And the miscarriage thing with my SIL that had already happened but they weren't even sure if she had a miscarriage at all so why go around telling everyone she lost a grandbaby and put a poem on the wall.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• some people are just..that way for lack of better words. everybody is so different. ive given up trying to understand people!! lol. cry for attention maybe? she clearly likes all eyes on her & the sympathy it gets her. but it is a little strange
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 1:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Sounds like she needs the attention
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• when people I know do these kinds of things it is usually to get attention.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:07 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• she is a drama queen and she needs attention
    LizzieAnnesMom

Answer by LizzieAnnesMom at 11:16 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Sounds like she wants attention to me.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:17 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I think she does it to bring attention to herself and the tragedies in her life that she is bravely dealing with. Which telling everyone of the 'tragedies' she is dealing with is her way to manipulate people/things and get the sympathy/pity/attention she feels she is entitled to. Who wouldn't feel sorry for a 'grandmother to a lost baby' or the 'wife of someone with cancer' and stop to talk to them and give them attention and their sympathy?
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:22 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• She wants attention. My mother is doing the very same thing but with me. I had pre-cancerous cells in my cervix and had to get a LEEP done but my mother is telling all of her friends and co-workers and even some family I have cancer when I really don't.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 12, 2011