I am so scared please someone help!

Croup has been going around my daycare with 4 babies getting it. My son who just turned two went to bed fine and woke up at 1 coughing so i thought was a normal cough but when i got to his room sounds HORRIBLE! Almost bronchitis like/croup like. He hasn't ran a fever that i know of so I don't know whether i should be running him to the ER or just waiting? I have been in tears on what i need to do? my husband is telling me we should just wait....please someone help?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 2:25 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take him outside into the cold air. It will calm his inflamed vocal chords, faster than anything else.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:26 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• When my son got bronchitis he had this slight weeze, I took him to the Urgent Care unit, because there were no regular doc appts available. I'd take him to the ER honestly because If I'm worried I won't feel better until I know what it is. My son ended up having to be on an inhaler for 6 weeks, he was only 5 months and was barely outside, so I don't know how it happened, maybe someone had something that manifested into bronchitis for him. Maybe something my SO brought home from work, unknown, but I'd take him in.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:29 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• give him steam bath go in to lungs open air waves
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:31 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• if it's in his chest, don't go in the cold...my dd has chronic bronchitis that she gets multiple times a year and the cold air makes it worse! take him in the bathroom, close the door, turn on the hot shower and let the room fill with the steam, let him breathe it for a short period, don't let him get hot. vicks has a baby chest rub, works wonders...let him sleep the night, check on him if he gets worse take him in, watch for a fever and if he's still coughing in the morning then call his doc.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:31 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Call the baby's dr. Plain and simple.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:36 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i know its a pain to go to the ER. but its better safe than sorry. u will feel worse sitting home crying than just taking him in. this is what i'd do.it will put u at ease.your husband should understand this.
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 2:37 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Yes, my sons have asthma so when they have a bad cough I take them into the bathroom and turn the shower on. The steam helps the inflamation. I let them sit in there for a few mins. The vicks is a big help also. If him is still doing the same thing in the morning go to the Dr. I hope he gets better.
    LADYA1983

Answer by LADYA1983 at 2:39 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If he is struggling to get air chest sucking in for sure take him in.

I have to say when my DD had croup taking her out into the cold air( with a blanket of course) is EXACTLY what they told me to do if she started to have trouble breathing .
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 3:19 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• oh and my dd got pneumonia when she was 3, she had bronchitis and was out in the cold...don't take him out in the cold, please. pneumonia is not fun...it's very scary.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 3:27 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• first of, take a deep breath yourself. Second, take a few seconds to understand what croup is

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/croup/DS00312

now here are some home treatments that work
    http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/50/35.cfm

like some moms already said, either steam it, or cool air. Where I am at right now, going outside would not be an option, we are nearing negitive temps, so I would do a steam shower. my 2 yr old likes tea, so if you can get yours to sip some warm tea with honey, that would be great too, and very comforting.

Good luck mama
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:36 AM on Jan. 12, 2011