Is this wise?

For personal security sake?

to have bogus or blank info on profiles?

If you just come here to interact and talk on the forums and Answers and are never planning to meet anyone from here IRL.

But if your avg person out there were to try to track you down or use your info against you, they wouldn't get real far. I dunno, its just an idea thats occurred to me recently and I didn't know if its was feasible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Technology

• Advantage to being a military brat is I have knowledge of all the places I've ever been and lived and can pretty much talk about thos eplaces even if I haven't been there for years. I can talk with enough knowledge to pass it off and most people won't question its validity. As such, like the OP says, I can just pretend to be from anywhere as long as I know something about it to make it believable. So if you;ve travelled alot, it makes you a bit more wordly and able to fake it online if you feel that need to.

I dont see any reason to tell people online that much about you. I'm only here to chat and do the Answers section, not meet up and get all personal.
    Mandz1

Answer by Mandz1 at 7:28 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i dunno, but i cringe every time i see a post saying, what city are you in! post a picture! what's your real name! what's your birthday! and others asking for personal information. gives me the willies because someone could easily put all that together, and boom, there goes your bank account because you were stupid enough to post in a public place. a private group is one thing, but jeez. why doesn't someone just come out and ask for my soul?
    i dunno about blank or bogus info, but i put mine on private, and the rest is for friends on cm only, and i'm pretty selective about the friends i make. or maybe nobody loves me... lol
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 5:31 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I think it is a good idea. Then there are the people on here who have nothing better to do than call you a liar and try to prove who you are. It is your profile and you should do as you wish with it. I say fake it up a little for safety sake.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Why is it dangerous for people know in which city a person lives?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:01 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Donna- its all little bits and pieces. A lot of security questions that banks use are basic information like what elementary school did you go to? Well knowing your hometown is one step closer to knowing what elementary school you went to. If you look at all the little things most of us do on a regular basis that opens us up to identity theft its really scary
    Mrs.Mixon

Answer by Mrs.Mixon at 8:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• donna, i agree that we shouldn't get overly paranoid about things like that, but we should never let our guard down by posting personal information.
    for example, i know that on april 10th, 2011 at 5 p.m., your son christian will be at 318 east 4th st, cincinnati, oh 45202, singing in a choir. if i were totally sick, i could do serious damage with that information, for no reason except that i'm crazy. maybe i don't like your new haircut. maybe i'm completely in love with your husband bob (who had that appendicitis grossness in november.) maybe i'll convince myself that i could treat him better than you - what better way to get his attention than through his son?
    that information was just from what you put on cafemom, and it took about five minutes. i googled the boys choir. i'm sure i could find out more on you. now we're not just talking identity theft. we're talking about your family. that's why it's scary.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 11:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• See? Thats why I'd just put down places I know about (or used to live years and years ago) but not necessarily where I live right now. I leave my kids totally out of it and a name? Heck I can make up a name. If I'm not gonna meet this person later then it really doesn't matter what my name is, called me Jane Doe. lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:21 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Donna: It may not be, but why give them any help?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:35 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Check out this recent article from Scientific American. It's directly related to why we shouldn't get overly worried about our on-line presence. I feel like people get too crazy about this stuff.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:29 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• please tell me when you've read that answer, so i can delete it
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 11:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2011