U.S. cesarean rate hits 33% do you know your options and rights

With such a high c-section rate do you know your birthing options both in and out of the hospital? Do you know your rights when it comes to typical 'procedures'?

truealaskanmom

Asked by truealaskanmom at 5:23 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Not totally no. Not really sure where to find out either.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:31 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• That c-sec rate is amazing. It was 25% just 6 years ago when I had my son. It's amazing how doctors have gotten so lazy and greedy.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:33 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• There are a lot of resources here on CM join the natural birth group. Are you interested in having an out of hospital birth which is safest in most situations?
    truealaskanmom

Comment by truealaskanmom (original poster) at 5:34 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Also more than half of the c-sections are unnecessary I know mine was and am so glad I had a vbac
    truealaskanmom

• Mine was unnecessary too. I had a vbac as well. My mom said that back in the early 80's when she had me that the word c-sec was rarely heard. It was only used when there were twins involved and rarely a breech baby.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:41 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Mine was NOT and I would have another C-section without hesitation. My ONLY option is to do what is SAFEST for me and the baby. I don't care how my child is born rather than he or she is healthy and safe and so am I.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I do know my rights but I chose not to have to fight during birth and stay home. This is a good list of our rights during maternity care.

http://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=1008

"Every woman has the right to accept or refuse procedures, tests, drugs, and treatments, and have her wishes honored, she has the right to change her mind."
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• tyfry, we all want to do what is safest for ourselves and our babies. If a C-section is what was best for you then you made the best decision you could. I am thankful for medical advancements when they are truly warranted. Unfortunately C-sections are very risky and way over used. It is rare that a C-section's benefits actual outweigh the benefits. It is not rare that the many unnecessary interventions used in a typical hospital birth actual cause an emergency to happen and a C-section to be necessary.

It's time for women to take back control of our births. It's time for us to know our rights and stop blindly trusting our Doctors.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My c-section was necessary for the health of my son. His heart rate would go way down then go way up, and then they found out I had an infection in my placenta and they had to take him out immediately and if I would of tried to wait and have him naturally I most likely would of lost him. Especially since when they pulled him out he wasnt breathing at all.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011