what age can i give my child hot dogs?

Babywinx

Asked by Babywinx at 3:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when they start eating solid foods. never ever cut them into circles though. i started cutting into circles and then cutiing the circles into 4 pieces. as they get older you can just cut the circles in half. whether or not to remove the skin is a preference on your part. hope this helps!
    krazymami028

Answer by krazymami028 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I gave all of mine hot dogs before they were a year old. I did cut them into small pieces to prevent choking. My older daughter is 3 and I still cut hers (though not as small).
    Anonymous

• Thats what I did with my 4 kids. As soon as they were eating solids. Plus cut into circles then into 4's
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I started giving mine hotdogs at the age of 1, he started eatting two of them at the age of 2.
    Anonymous

• you can give her but what you do is take off the skin , that is what makes it a chocking hAZARD -and of course cut in small pieces.
    taleyu1432

Answer by taleyu1432 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• If your child is eating solid foods well, just make sure you cut the hot dog long ways and then again into very small pieces...they are a big choking hazard.
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 3:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Yep - as soon as she can chew it, she's good to go. Like the others said, make certain you cut the hot dog into two long pieces first, then cut it up into bit sized pieces. If you leave it in circles, a piece could get stuck in her airway. That can't happen with "half-moons".

Also, take a look at the ingredients on the package. Did you know that most contain sugar? I ended up giving my daughter Hebrew National hot dogs - no sugar and all real meat.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I started giving mine hot dogs once she was eating table foods, now, she's 16 months and I can give her a whole one and it's gone within minutes.
    mijos_mom

Answer by mijos_mom at 4:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• When they can eat table food. Just cut it in forths long ways so that it isn't a choaking hazard.
    Anonymous

• Remember though: not too many because nitrates are dangerous. I don't wanna be a jerk for saying that, but its true. I think that there may be such a thing as nitrate-free hot dogs, if you like to feed them to your kids more than once in a very great while then it may be worth looking into.
    whohannah

Answer by whohannah at 5:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2008