Viral Meningitis: Would you keep your child home?

The father of my preschooler's classmate is in the hospital for viral meningitis and an unknown bacterial infection. My son tends to catch everything. If you were me, would you keep him home for a few days to avoid contact with that classmate?

ARgal

Asked by ARgal at 6:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I would. But that's just me. That's one of those things that isn't really worth risking in my book. I am an MA and realistically the chances of your son getting anything are slim to none, and I am no a huge proponent of raising paranoid little hyperchondriacs... but it's just a few days off school this one time vs. the fact that if a preschool age child gets viral meningitis the outcome is not so great. (That's the nice way of saying it would scare the crap out of me.) It's all up to you and you can ask your doctor. Know that if there was a big risk factor the school would call it and cancel class themselves. The fact still stands that I'd keep my little guy where I know he's safe for a few days.

Good luck! I am sure it will all be fine!
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 6:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• YES I WOULD FOR SURE!
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 7:11 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Most definitely!!
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:05 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Personally my children rarely get sick and have great immune systems so I tend to let them get exposed to things to help build their immune systems, but if I had a child who had health issues I would seriously consider keeping them home.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Yes I would!
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 10:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I am keeping him home, guys. I just don't want to take the risk.
    ARgal

Comment by ARgal (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• heck yea.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2011