dog in face

We just adopted a 7 month old shepard mix from the pound. Shes a good dog and great with my kids. My only problem is when im on the floor mainly, she wants to lay all over me and be all up in my face. I feel bad about pushing her away, but I dont want to always be licked. Any tips? Also, she sleeps in the laundry area, which is connectec to the kitchen and closed off by a gate. She does fine in there, but how much time is too much time in there? I have a 2 year old and a 8 month old, and I put her in there when things get crazy ya know. I think I feel bad that she was in the shelter and don't want her to think she's not loved.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 6:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Pets

• I know some people dont like doggie kisses. (I keep thinking of Lucy on Charlie Brown!) When ours get excessive w/ their wet, slobbery affection, we tell them "No licky" & just cuddle & pet them. Keep repeating that until they get it. As long as there are still cuddles, play time & interaction w/ the family, then you & your addition to the family should do just fine. Bless you for going to a shelter to get your pet! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:04 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• fi shes all over you, she def knows she is loved. so don't worry about that. for the licking and laying all over you, just tell her no in a firm voice, she is young and still puppy, so keep that in mind.
    as for tha laundry room, some dogs are in a crate for 8 hours a day! not good. if she is in there for only a few hours a day, that is fine! when you walk by, just give her a pat and tell her shes a good girl, and never use it as a punishment, if this is where she will go to sleep all the time, then you want her knowing its a good place, and that when she goes to bed, its not a punishment.

but hang in there, 7 months old is puppy and she will settle down.

and good for you saving her from the shelter! i love it!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 7:05 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i like that,,,, but sadly a lot of people do not, i would rather have a dog like that, then a nasty dog!
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 7:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• just keep in mind she is still a puppy. she is going to be excited and hyper. since she was from a shelter (kudos) give her a little more time then you would any other dog. a stern voice 'no' when shes licking. dogs need simple comands. not 'stop that i dont like it' they dont understand sentances. and just be patient! as far as the room goes, let that be her sancutary. do NOT use that as punishment. put her there with a treat when shes being good and that way when you sleep or leave she automatically goes in and is happy no scared or sad. good luck and best wishes!

JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 7:15 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Any time puppies do something you don't like (either licking or play-biting) ignore them or say "No" firmly and then get up and walk away and then completely ignore them.
    This is what other puppies do to eachother. Puppies don't like being ignored and they will soon learn what gets them your attention and what doesn't. Be consistant and firm!
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 10:04 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Maybe you could teach her to give kisses only when YOU want them?? That's what I did with my female Sheltie that used to lick me all the time. I would put her snout up to my cheeck and say "gimme kiss/kissy" and when she would I'd say "good girl". If she was licking me when I didn't want it I would just tell her "no kissy/licky".
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Any time she climbs on you, immediately get up off of the floor. You don't need to push her off, just get up. Wait a moment then get back down on the floor. Do this every time. She'll eventually learn that the way to get you to stop playing is to climb on you which is what she doesn't want. It's an easy non-confrontational way to do it. Pushing her off may become a game to her, so the best way is to remove yourself from any form of touching her and just get up.

As far as the laundry room goes, as long as she's getting plenty of exercise and isn't destructive or anxious in there, she's probably fine. Many dogs spend 8 hours in their kennels while their owners are at work and are as content as can be. All that matters is that they get attention and exercise when they are out.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 10:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• With 2 kids i wouldnt have adopted a pet, 2 kids its plenty.
    ariadnebila

Answer by ariadnebila at 8:06 PM on May. 8, 2011