Should teachers be able to take a week vacation during exam week?

High School level.

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 7:08 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in

• Teaching is just like any other profession, things happen and you need to take time off - not always in the most convenient times. I would expect that if a teacher did have to take vacation during exam week that he/she would have everything prepared for the substitute.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:30 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• As a teacher, I would never plan that...it's just not professional...however if it was some sort of circumstance like mompam said, then I guess they wouldn't be able to help it. I'm surprised the administration approved the absence. I know ours wouldn't! They are very strict with when we are allowed to call off and when we are not!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:24 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Do you know the situation? If not, please don't judge.
    A friend of mine had to took off during exam week. Her neice was killed by a drunk driver. While they buried her, they didn't have a memorial service for her. The family decided to build a much needed project for a small town in her honor. It took almost a year to complete the project. My friend was very close to her neice and wanted to be there. The small town that her family choose for the project was half way across the country. I don't begrudge her going to her neices' memorial service.

Another friend took a week off during school (this time not exam week) because her son was getting married in Mexico. I don't think she should have had to miss the wedding.

Teaching is our job, but it's not our life. We have family and friends that we are concerned about. Yes, we love your children, but we have to look after ourselves as well.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:06 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It would depend on the circumstance. They shouldn't plan a vacation then, but if their sister was getting married out of the country or something, then yes.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:20 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• No because they are the one that made the exams and provided the notes for them and they should be there to give and to grade the exam
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 8:00 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have yet to take off exam week. My school is very strict about our days off as well. But situations do happen. i have only missed 2 days of work in 3 years of working though. I think if the teacher can be at work during exam week, they should.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• No--they get the same vacation as the kids do. I think this is ridiculous. One teacher at our school is gone this week on a cruise. Why couldn't she have taken the cruise over Christmas vacation?
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• First to the lady that called teachers "jerks" and being superior...you are wrong and rude. I would bet money that your children are disrespectful to their teachers.

OP: It depends on the situation. A death in the family, surgery, an emergency it is acceptable but to just take a vacation, NO. Our district will NOT approve of any time of during standardized testing week and the teachers know this. If it is just a regular test, it is ok to take a vacation, subs are capable of grading tests too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• no, but they do, cause they are superior to us,, JERKS!
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 7:09 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

Next question in
geometry and pre-calculus

Next question overall (Pets)
dog in face