People Telling u how to raise ur child!

my parents are ALWAYS acting like my daughter is theirs ! they say to my daughter go to mommy referring to my mom ! we tell them not to do this but they wont stop! they also tell us this is how u raise a child and not to listen to my daughters Dr! i am so freaking tired of it ! anyone have any advice on how to get them to stop? I'm just so over it ! i am almost to the point of telling them they cant be around her !

Heavenbrwneyez

Asked by Heavenbrwneyez at 7:23 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• thats what i would do! if they can't respect you as the mother, tell them to get lost. they have to know it bothers your, theres no way they don't. my mother is the same way, and i finally told her if she couldnt respect me as a human being and a mother, to f herself! i had her removed from my house by the police when she started telling people my hubby was abusing my son!!! hahaha thats funny, since im home 99 percent of the time. but whatever......
    i would tell them to stop, if they don't, then there is no need for them in your life. it will cause problems later on, trust me! good luck mama! and put your foot down! she is your daughter and yours only.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 7:28 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• good luck. my mil does the same thing although she has gotten better thru the years. my dd is allergic to Tylenol (yes weird) and she would give her Tylenol is she 'thought' she was sick, well the one day my dd had a reaction and onl y then did mil stop giving meds. and that was what she did all the time. if they sneezed she'd give them cold meds. i dont use otc meds unless absolutely needed. now if the kids are acting out and i yell she will say 'oh they are just like their father you just have to give them time and room' and she insists we dont discipline for most things. i try and just blow it off now.

JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 7:29 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Good luck hun! My family as well as DH's family does the EXACT same thing! I just have learned in the (almost) past 2 years to IGNORE it. If I make a mistake I'll learn from it with DD and if I need advice I'll seek them for it!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 7:30 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Thank you everyone !! My mom called me this morning (cause my dad takes me Hubby to work cause car is in the shop) and she tells me my husband told my dad that he went to pick up our daughter is almost broke her neck!! Ummm first off he doesn't get up with her in the middle of the night he sleeps through her cries and second befor he legged he didn't touch he because she was asleep! This is what they always do they make up shit!! They told my husband and I befor my daughter was born that if we mess up one time they will call CPS on us so they can have our daughter !! I am so over being scared if she is crying they are going to call CPS saying I'm hurting her or something !! My in-laws don't even act like this !! I guess I'm just going to have to tell them one more time and if they don't stop then I'm done my daughter don't need to be around that!!
    Heavenbrwneyez

Comment by Heavenbrwneyez (original poster) at 7:44 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Sorry if there is misspelled words I'm on my iPhone and the spell check on it doesn't work very well!! If I spell something right it misspells it!!
    Heavenbrwneyez

Comment by Heavenbrwneyez (original poster) at 7:46 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• my mother says the same thing and it took alot of telling her over and over again to get it through her head i am her mother and she is not. its annoying but i am eternally greatful for my parents but sometimes they can be annoying.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• First you need to tell them you are the parent and they are the grandparents.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:06 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My mother does the same thing with her two great grandchildren. We just had a discussion about this the other day. I have a granddaughter, 3, and a grandson, 18 months. My mother doesn't agree with how my son and daughter-in-law discipline their children. I don't always agree with them, but I respect their wishes. My mother criticizes the way they do things. I told her that she can disagree with them and express her opinion, but she cannot tell them what to do. My daughter-in-law is a stay-at-home mom; she knows what she's doing. Sometimes my mother ignores her wishes by feeding the littler one things my son doesn't want him to have. Sometimes she disciplines my granddaughter by hitting her. I've told her over and over that if she cannot follow their wishes, I won't take her over to their house to see them. (She doesn't drive the thruway.) Give your parents an ultimatum, but first try having a good heart to heart.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:20 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i am pretty blunt,,, it is your child, back off!!!
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 8:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• You do NOT give them another chance, you tell them until they can respect you and your husband as parents, then they do NOT get to see your daughter and then stick to it. They are acting the way they are because you are letting them. You are no longer a child, STAND UP TO THEM. I told my overbearing family that if they didn't stop parenting my child, they wouldn't see him and I stuck too it. It took 4 years of limited contact for them to stop.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 12, 2011