Illinoisans ...

What do you think of the 66% increase in income tax that was just passed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm thinking that I'm glad I moved to Indiana.

I think Illinois would be better off if Chicago became it's own state...after all, that's where most of the money goes in Illinois.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:07 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Illinoisan here, Actually Quinn didn't hide the fact he wanted to raise the state income tax, but they have doubled the amount that he talked about (I didn't vote for him). The tax increase is not quite a done deal yet, but I don't see it failing, sadly. Yet our state declined to raise the cigg tax, go figure, just politics as usual, nail all of us, protect a few. In our household this mean the money has to come from somewhere, so higher taxes mean less disposable income, means less purchase power, means slower economic growth.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-quinn-tax-hike-13mar13,0,7352846.story (from 2009)

(Whoops sorry they did pass it this morning) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=132825447

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:35 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Oh my heavens. That's awful.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:29 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Glad I don't live in that hell hole state. Too bad all the criminals are starting to pour over into our state where people actually have stuff to steal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• To bad for people in Illinois. Shame many there have not learned their lesson yet
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• OK, why the snarky comments? First of all, I asked ILLINOISANS what they thought ... so the rest of you, keep out of it. Secondly, if you followed our governor's race at election time, you'd know that Quinn won by the narrowist of margins, and that was only because Obama campaigned on behalf of the dems running at the time. Quinn pulled the old bait and switch, just as Obama did ... "no, we won't raise taxes" before election time turned into "we'll tax the hell out of you" once all is said and done. Don't think for a moment we Illinoisans just sit idly by; the process doesn't always work the way you want it to. Now, back to the original question ...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I live in a state that is being impacted by the bad policies of Illinois. Their criminals and people are moving to my home state and really draining our resources. They need to fix the state so the rest of us don't suffer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jan. 12, 2011