What is the difference between baby food 1st foods and 2nd foods.

My doctor gave me permission to start babyfoods. SHe said start with the yellow and orange ones, then the greens, then the fruits. I went to the gorcerystore and they didn't have any 1st foods. They had a lot of 2nd foods but not the ones i was lookinf for. I wanted squash, carots , etc. They had stuff like meats, turkey, sweet corn and something, veal, chicken, and the fruits. Is it okay to give the meats as long as i don't start with the deserts even thought they say 2nd foods.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't start with 2nd foods. They are a little chunkier, and your baby really needs to get the hang of the very smooth 1st foods first.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 3:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• it depends on how old ur lil one is. if theyre 6+ mths its okay for meats. not ne younger theyre bodies isnt ready to diegest the meats.

and 2nd foods are slightly thicker than the 1st foods. 1st foods has 1 ingredient like peas and 2nd foods has 2 like corn and sweet potatoes.

so to determine what if ne foods ur lil one is allergic to its easy to figure out if u use 1st foods first.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Just mush up something at home if you can't find what you are looking for in a jar. Steam some veggies and puree them, or even a banana or avocado!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• if you get the single ingrediant 2nds there ok. there just alittle thicker there isnt any chunks. i started mine at 2nd stage and she eats them fine.
    amandap1705

Answer by amandap1705 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Check out these web sites for optimum feeding for your baby.
    http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center=4&tax_level=2&tax_subject=257&topic_id=1352
    http://ific.org/publications/brochures/solidsbroch.cfm

Good luck!
    SassyJulie

Answer by SassyJulie at 5:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• The 2nd foods are not chunkier. Yes, they may be a tiny bit thicker. A little bit of water takes care of that if it is a problem for your child. That's all the compaines do - thin them down a tiny bit. But there are NO chuncks in Stage 2 foods. The only other differenece is that the containers are bigger - so you get more food for the same dollar with stage 2 foods.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I agree with the above poster- 2nd foods are a little thinker (tiny little bit), but not chunky. They are a bigger container. That's the main difference- oh- and many of them are mixed ingredients- like apple and pear. My doctor told us to do all orange/yellow fruits and veggies, then green veggies. He said not to start any meats until 8 months (meat is harder to digest for all of us...) So I think you'd be fine to start with the single ingredient 2nd foods- just don't try meats first!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 5:43 PM on Nov. 12, 2008