For all the mother's that homeschool their children.

I am seriously considering homeschooling my daughter. With all the shootings, bomb threats ect ect. How did you all go about doing this? Any information would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Kimmers1116

Asked by Kimmers1116 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

• I am in PA and do not (and will not) homeschool. However all you need to do here is contact the school and they will give you all the information on how to get materials and how to keep your child active in school functions and such... There is mostlikely a number of homeschool families in your area anyway. You may want to contact some of them too.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I feel it takes dedication. There are several places on the internet that offer free worksheets, templates, ideas, ect. There are also several different companies offering different ciriculums. Some times the school may have extra books that they have retired and offer them free to homeschoolers. There are several homeschooling groups on here that might be able to help you out too.
    Anonymous

• www.hslda.org to find out the homeschooling laws in your state. Also be sure to google the homeschool laws in your state to be sure they're accurate. Each state is different in how it's handled. That's your starting point. From there you'll be able to decide if you want to use a prepackaged curriculum, and umbrella or charter school, or make your own like me. Good luck!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• There are many books on the subject you can read that will help you get started. The first and most important step is checking out the laws for your state, as each state is different. You should fully understand the laws before starting out.

You can join a a local homeschool group for support and information, look for local yahoo homeschool groups for more information, or come to the Happy Homeschoolers group here on CafeMom and the mom's there will be happy to assist you in any way they can.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• There are many websites that can help you if you are truly interested. Its not for everyone. This is my first year of homeschooling my son and we go through a Christian Based school because we were too late to do it through the city's school system. I had the option to teach their homeschool program or one of my own design. I went through and found the same system of books used in the city's school system so he would feel comfortable with the lessons he was used to as well as a couple of new books and lessons as well. I teach art to him as well. There are several books as well you could look for at the library as well. Good Luck!
    kimd143

Answer by kimd143 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I have a group for secular homeschooling, but theists are welcome, too. we have a thread about different approaches to homeschooling, and a list of 100 links to online resources. for anyone who cares to join:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/secularhomeschooling

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I advise caution contacting your school district about your homeschooling rights. They are often at minimum misinformed and even deliberately misleading with regards to your rights and obligations. Your states education website should provide the details on HS requirements.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• be aware, too, that HSLDA has a conservative and religious agenda.

some recommended reading to get you started:
    Maria Montessori
    John Holt
    Rebecca Rupp
    John Taylor Gatto
    Sandra Dodd
    Charlotte Mason (you'll find books both by her and about her methods)
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• that's cool there are so many online things that help you out with this. I was home schooled and don't regret that my mom maid that choice! I have plenty of friends and a normal life, I hate the comments some people make about it. And to the above poster mentioning Maria Montessori I'm so happy to see that! lol. I was a teaching assistant in a Montessori school so that's why ;)
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I think the more a homeschooling parent can read about varying education approaches, the better. and the beauty of homschooling is that you can incorporate the best of any number of methods.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2008