Homeschooling moms: Which cirriculum do you use?

Im going to homeschool my kids starting next year and Im trying to get everything set. With all the cirriculums out there it's enough to make your head spin! Any advice?

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 3:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

• I created my own. I find the Core Knowledge series of books (What Your XXX Grader Needs to Know) to be a helpful place in determining what to teach in the younger grades. Curriculum is a pretty personal thing, as in it's not one style fits all. A math curriculum that works for my child may not fit even my best friend's child. Many people opt for a full boxed curriculum especially for the first year while everyone gets used to the homeschooling.

I would recommend you join some sort of homeschooling group, be it, a yahoo group, a physical group in your community, or try checking out the Happy Homeschooler's group here on CafeMom for more information.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I created my own! I looked at what the state standards were and purchased workbooks that included all those things. We mainly use the Spectrum brand for now but we do mix and match. As my kids get older, we may look into a prepackaged deal but for now I like having the control over what is taught and when.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I created my own. I don't over do it with my son either...I set certain days for certain subjects and a day for tests each week. I used the Core Knowledge books to get an idea as well as what the city schools expectations for the kids to learn in that certain grade so that if I were to enter him back in the next year he would not be behind.
    kimd143

Answer by kimd143 at 3:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• We use Time4Learning online. We love it, my son has ADHD and can do this without his meds. I love it.
    kristinas8

Answer by kristinas8 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• We don't use a curriculum. We have used things like Ambleside Online (a free Charlotte Mason style curriculum) and The Well Trained Mind to get ideas at times, but mostly we follow the kids interests and get LOTS of books from the library. We use a lot of non-book resources as well, like computer games, online games, board games, videos etc. Packaged curricula tend to be workbook and textbook heavy and too much book work gets tedious for all of us.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:18 AM on Nov. 13, 2008