Anyone else have only children that have trouble playing alone?

My son complained about me picking him up after school (rather than Grandma - she lives with us) because on her days he gets to watch TV and play computer all day, while with me I try and make him try and play with his toys (which is always a battle.)

Suggestions how to get him to play?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i would sit down and play with him.
    sarahjohnson16

Answer by sarahjohnson16 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• play a game with him and maybe get into arts and crafts thats what my kids like the best, just got them paint by numbers and they love it
    Jenlos

Answer by Jenlos at 3:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I do play with him -but I can't do that allllllll the time, there is stuff that needs to get done around the house, after all.
    Anonymous

• My son also does not like to play alone, he loves to have my attention 100% of the time. When there are times that I need to get things done around the house, or focus on work, I direct him to a task such as coloring, playing out side or with his toys, watching a movie or even playing his gameboy for a certain amount of time. While I am directing him I give him clear expectations, and make sure I set a reward if he succeeds, and a punishment if he does not listen. Hope this helps.
    prettyeyedmommy

Answer by prettyeyedmommy at 11:03 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Having too many toys can cause problems focusing enough on the toy you want to play with. Are the toys appropriate for his age? My kids often get toys that are too mature, or not mature enough and they won't play with them. Maybe after he school he would like to unwind watching TV, and later play with toys? Have ALL TV time earned. Unplug it enough, and tv time won't be a battle anymore. My kids also play w/ their toys more if they are picked up and organized. If we don't work on cleaning up the toy room daily, then they don't want to go through the scattered toys on the floor to find something to play with.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 6:14 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• If you can try to get him to help you out. When you do laundry, give him a basket of clean towels or sox, show him how you want them and have him do it. Make it a game. I have one that was like that. ON MY HIP 24/7. We would race to fold stuff the fastest. or cleaning thier rooms. We also got boxes and made a project out of them. We painted and decorated them to match what will go in them. then we seperated all the toys in its box, i made that his job. When he completed it he was rewarded with stickers or marbles that he could later change in for a day out. like going to chuckie cheese or mini golf, rewarding things. This helped him to learn to play and keep himself occupied without anyone else and that it could be rewarding. If he was stubborn and wouldnt allow me to finish what i was doing he would lose a sticker or marble. Now I don't even use them.
    soldierswifeof4

Answer by soldierswifeof4 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I have this problem too. I have tried everything that you all have suggested and it still doesn't help. I have been on bedrest for awhile and it seems to have made the problem worse. I have tried to keep up with his homework and reading to him plus watching movies etc since I can do this while in bed but now he thinks I should do this all the time and when I try to get him to play right next to me in the floor he won't do it; he wants to talk to me when I am trying to sleep. I've got four weeks to go until due date but I am really getting tired of being a plaything.
    RoseAsh

Answer by RoseAsh at 11:45 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• With my son I find it is not so much that he doesn't want to play alone, because he will play alone sometimes, but that he just wants to be with me. So if I have to do something around the house, I make him my helper. As I am running around cleaning, I have him doing a chore as well. He loves it. He is 5 and is completely content being my right hand man, picking up things, putting them away, as long as I give him specific one at a time or two at a time instructions. He is back in a flash waiting for the next job.
    Megeth720

Answer by Megeth720 at 3:36 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• my son is 7 and an only child,not by choice but its because I,m diabetic and have 'conjestive heart failure', we wanted a ton of kids but God gave us one Blessing anyway,he is my life. No my son wont play by himmself either he either wants me or his dad to play whatever with him and sometimes we do but we also have other things to do that needs to be done so he gets mad,its not like he dont have any toys,his room is full plus a gameboy and a gameboy ds a t.v a vcr&dvd player a computor with 100,s of games but his famous words are 'I,m Bored', I wish I had the answer for you but just to keep pushing new things os something,good luck too.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2009