5 yr old "touching" herself and humping her chair at skol

what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is normal for a child to explore their own body. And sometimes they do stumble on the pleasure of stimulating that part of their body. It does not mean they are being molested or someone taught them that. The fact that she is using the chair most likely means that it was accidental. With girls, sometimes if they have to urinate badly, they start holding themselves and putting pressure. This can also be a way that they discover that feeling too. What she needs to know is that it is not appropriate to do this in public. You should not humiliate her for it. Just let her know that things involving the private parts of her body need to be done in private - like going to the bathroom, showering, bathing, etc.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Ummm.... after having a talk with her and explaining that it is NOT ok to do these things you may want to get her seen by a professional in case she has been abused, or has other problems. Kids just DONT start masterbating or humping things out of the blue. She learned it somewhere.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• So does my child do this. It scares me to death She was 6 and now 7 and it is becoming less and less. Not in school though, It really makes me sick but any Dr. will say it is normal to a point. It is their way of releaving stress and frustrations. I don't know, but it is freaky to see.
    Anonymous

• for sure you should take her to the dr to make sure she isnt getting abused by someone that you are not aware of.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 4:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• kathyartist2007 is SO RIGHT my daughter does this too and she started very young.....the doc's say it is natural....push the privacy thing.....vbruno is soooooo wrong! yes it is a sign of abuse but YES KIDS do just do this. I did ... I wasn't abused then......I did find plasure on the chair...just really talk to her about PRIVACY! Don't let her feel "BAD"
    twinklstar

Answer by twinklstar at 5:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Sounds like abuse.Seek professional help!
    southpawshelia

Answer by southpawshelia at 8:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My niece started doing this from a very young age. . . I mean like 6 months, and no, there was NO abuse involved. . . my sis is a stay at home mom with 2 other kids and never left her with anyone. It happens. She finally got over it around 5 and only does it very rarely. Being my sis & her family are missionaries it was very difficult, not to mention embarrassing. Once you're sure it's not caused by outside influence, I would suggest just pushing the privacy issue, when it's ok and where and set boundaries as with everything else.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 11:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2008