Not enough food for him !

I babysit a 13 year old boy who has down syndrome.... usually just after school, on days that there is no school, and int he winter when they dont have school , or a delay/ early out....

He likes to eat and she even told me this when we first met ...... But the only things she ever sends for him to eat is like 3 or 4 little chicken nuggets ( that I cook for him ) . After he eats those he is still hungry, if I have some here at the house ( sometimes I buy chicken nuggets, but not alot since my kids only eat them sometimes) ... and I KNOW that he can eat atleast 10 of them ( and also wants a ton of bbq sauce or ketchup) ... he will also eat almost a whole bag of potatoe chips ( actually it takes him 2 days to finish a large bag) ... He will cry and tell me he is sick if he cant eat that much of those things...

I like his mom and we do talk alot when she comes over to get him, and during those conversations I know she has talked about how much he eats at home ...so I know that she knows he needs more that 4 little nuggets....

Even though I like her and she is nice to me.... I know she is one of those women who can tell off a person if she doesnt like what they say ( I know this from stories she has told me about herself) ... She is also the kind that thinks her son can do no wrong ( which explains why he crys and throws fits when he doesnt get his way)

Anyways my point is, we are struggling money wise and I have to plans our meals because we dont have that much to spend on our own food.... let alone a $6 pack of chicken nuggets and a $4 bag of chips twice a week ....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• He won't eat anything else? PB & J is really cheap and you could give him what his mom brings him and give him a sandwich. Also, You should bring it up to his mom. Period. That is not enough food for him. If she's doesn't like it, doesn't want to bring mom food for him, then you don't watch him... KWIM?
    missy19874419

Answer by missy19874419 at 9:05 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• You could say something like, he's going through a growth spurt, can you please send more food or ask for more money, maybe $10/week or so to buy more stuff for him. I understand that is a sticky situation.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:12 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• He absolutely will not eat anything else besides chicken nuggets ( or chicken fingers) , potatoes chips, or steak and plain chicken cooked on the grill, also pudding and yogurt....

he doesnt even like pizza or mac and cheese

She told me when i first started watching him that he is VERY VERY picky ... and said that they have to go to KFC 3 or 4 times a week because it is so hard to feed him...

I know of course I could stop watching him but we REALLY need the money and since we live in a small town it is hard to find other kids to watch..... that is why I am so worried about making a deal out of .....It kind of feels like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:12 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I'd let her know that the food she is providing for him isn't enough, and ask that she send more food.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:13 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• The mom needs to be sending more food, period. Also, just because he can eat 1/2 a bag of chips and 1/2 a bag of chicken nuggets does not mean that he should. Maybe the mom is sending only 4 because that's how many he should have. Ask her to send things to go with the nuggets - veggies, fruit, whatever. Also, understand that he's not "sick" if he can't eat what he wants, he's trying to get what he wants out of you.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:14 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I know he shouldnt be eating as much as what he wants.... BUT , if hegets upset it is hard to handle him -- she basically told me to give him what he wants and if he gets out of hand to call her...

but at the same time she is a nurse - she should know for a 13 year old kid ( a big 13 year old kid) that 4 nuggets isnt enough.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• You need to flat out tell her that the food she sends isn't enough and that she can either send more or give you the money to buy it. After you feed him, are you really making anything? Don't be afraid that she will tell you off. These are the simple facts. I would stop watching him if she's doesn't start doing one of the above.
    GinaPQueen

Answer by GinaPQueen at 9:28 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I also babysit and there is no way 3 or 4 chicken nuggets is enough for a growing 13 year old boy. I would ask for more food for him or more money so you can buy the food. Its too bad he wont eat anything else at this age. Sounds like his moms got some work to do.
    tammyyyyy5

Answer by tammyyyyy5 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I agree you need to say something although I understand not wanting to upset her and not wanting to lose the money you are making by watchig this child. Maybe you could ask her if she could send him with a little more food because you are having to buy food for him and you can't really afford to. The problem is he is a child with a disability and his mother has allowed him to eat whatever he wants so now to change that behavior is going to be hard and should not be your job. You could try offering him other things to see if he will eat something else, although then you are using your own food again.

I think if she is not willing to send him with more food or to give you a little extra money to buy food, then you really need to think about what you are going to do. You don't want to get so upset that you regret watching this child.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would tell her that he is still hungary after his 4 nuggets. Tell her that you would be happy to give him a PB&J but he doesn't want it, all he wants is more nugget. Then ask her if she just wants you to offer the sandwhich and if he doesn't want it then, he can wait till he goes home or if she would like to send him more nuggets for you to cook for him. I also watch children out of my home and I know there are some kids that the way they eat, it's not worth the money you get paid. She should understand that it is not your job to provide $10 worth of food for her kid every week
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 12, 2011