I'm trying to get my daughter who is almost 2 to sleep in her new big girl room. We have another little one on the way that's the reason for the move. Anyone have any advice to get her adjusted to her bed and new room?

bearycute

Asked by bearycute at 3:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We had this issue with my daughter. At first- she was excited about the concept of a big girl room until she realized she was actually going to sleep in there thru the night. She refused at first and cried about it. Then one day I stayed with her for her nap while she fell asleep (something I never do) and she's really been fine ever since. I guess she just needed to feel safe at first. We also just talked up how exciting it was to be a big girl and move into a big girl room.
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 5:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Depends on the route you want to take and how soon you want her to start sleeping in there. If you want to happen pretty soon then start a routine and stick with it. Let her know is going to sleep in her bed and lay her down. If she gets up then tell her its time for bed. If she gets up again say nothing and lay her back down. It will probably be a rough couple of nights to start but she will get it. If you have the time then start slow and just lay her down in her room for naps. What ever you do be consistent.
    Anonymous

• Just watched "Supernanny" accomplish this - had parent sit in child's room, back to child & no eye contact or talking after mom gave kisses goodnight. Each time 2 y.o. got out of bed, mom put him back in w/o talking or looking at him. The toddler got up 72 times in an hour and a half, but finally went to sleep. Apparently each night it gets easier. Good luck!
    mom2lukethomas

Answer by mom2lukethomas at 10:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I did a couple of things that worked for us. One- I put the mattress on the floor at first with bed rails so they felt safe (i have twins). Two- I told them I would stay in the room until they fell asleep the first night. I fell asleep on the floor waiting for them to fall asleep! The first night it took 2 hours, the second night, 3! But the third night they went to sleep no problem. Three- I got a Tykelight and let them sleep with it. It's a little light bulb shaped kind of like a snowman. They love them and it makes them feel safe. I also have a big star night light that brightens the room. I use a pink or blue light bulb 4 watts so it's not quite as bright as a white night light bulb.

Then I started a new routine that they love. I sing songs with them on the edge of their bed and sometimes I let them read books in bed- they think that is super special and "big girl"

Good luck!
    MsPaperlicious

Answer by MsPaperlicious at 12:08 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I lay my son down in his bed and put my head next to his ten after a few seconds I whisper "Mommy has to kiss Daddy night-night. Mommy come back." and I walk out. I return right away and put my head back next to his. Then after a little bit I'll make up some other excuse about leaving, like having to wash my hands or close the freezer, but assuring him I'd be back. Each time I leave I stay out for a little longer, So the second time I'll stay our for maybe 25-30 seconds, then 1 minute, then 3, etc. He falls asleep waiting for me to come back. When we have normal nights at home I only have to go back 3-4 times, but if we are out somewhere and get home late it doesn't work as quickly. I think the technique comes from the "Happiest Toddler on the Block" series.
    CarynZ

Answer by CarynZ at 12:19 AM on Nov. 13, 2008