Does anyone just hate when Thanksgiving and Christmas come around?

For me it seems more like a "people pleasing" event. Both of them. It's always I HAVE to go to my grandmothers, I HAVE to go to my other grandmothers. I HAVE to go to my MIL's house. If not SOMEONE gets totally offended. It's not even about what it was intended for! Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks to the lord and so on. BUT it seems like it's more about food and sitting at someone else's house for a few hours even though they don't really acknowledge you anyway. Same with Christmas. It's about celebrating Christ but it's been twisted in to having to buy presents for everyone. If I try to choose to just stay home and do it the traditional way without all the chaos of going to 3 different places to eat or give presents they will gripe like none other. ALL of them do not live close to me. 1 is 1 hour away the other is 2 hours away and the last one is about 30 minutes away. I feel like it's about THEM.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I avoid feeling that way during the holiday. I know what you mean. With my fiancee, Christmas meant discussing how presents had to be $50 minimum and they had to draw names, blah, blah - I chose not participate. Same with Thanksgiving - I was the babysitter for everyone until I excused myself because I wanted to "stay home and rest".

Plan what you would like for the holidays and enjoy them - life is short!
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 3:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• The holidays seem ALL about commercialism these days. NOT about God or the birth of our savior, or giving thanks. And Thanksgiving was or is SUPPOSED to be all about the Indians sitting down with the pilgrams. Now it's about Buy, buy buy, spend spand spend. Reasons to travel reasons to decorate. Seems more like the retailers bottm line than being with family.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:45 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• you sound like my husband lol
    abayhaymom

Answer by abayhaymom at 5:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I love the holiday season. I get all excited once Halloween is over and it finally wears off after New Year's. YAY!!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• In the past I dreaded the holidays....We moved away from the In-laws and I have been "decking the halls" ever since! I highly recommend it! LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 9:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• We used to in the past but no more! My DH and I decided we will do what is best for our family and kids and screw the rest...no more jumping from place to place and eating meals we are not hungry for just to keep the peace...it is our holiday too! We should be able to stay in our jam jams and relax and enjoy too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:33 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• lol Mommascoocoo
    Anonymous