Have you ever heard of giving an 8 month old 2% milk?

I thought babies couldn't drink cow's milk until one year of age

virgo550

Asked by virgo550 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should wait until 1 year. I gave my kids yogurt and cheese before that, so I guess it's the same thing. But they need the nutrients in formula/bm. I hope that isn't a substitute for formula.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:44 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• WHen I had my son in 1971 , the Pediatrician at the Air Force base instructed me to feed him 1% milk because he was too chubby. In those days, nobody thought that cows' milk was a bad thing. I still don't think it is. Same with orange juice. We always had real orange juice for breakfast and now all I see here at CM is that you shouldn't feed kids juice unless it is diluted with water. @@ There is so much vitamin C in orange juice and that is important to keep your kids healthy. SOmetimes I think the way things are done nowdays are based on "fad diets for babies".
    I don't get it----
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• no I haven't but I thought it was 1% at 1 and then 2% at 2.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:46 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• When I was a kid we were drinking 2 % mild when we were like 3 months old. It wasn't until my little sister was born that the doctor told my mom we should be getting whole milk and I think we still started at an early age. Now a days they say kids should get milk until they are a year old. I guess that might be a guide line. Things change so much when it comes to raising kids. When my oldest was born I was giving him cereal at 4 months and when my sister had her first child 9 years later she was told not to give food until 6 months old.

I also think some of it has to do with who your pediatritian says.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i started whole milk at 1 with my son. never heard of 2% at that age.
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It depends. My doctor approved milk for my son at 10 months old. I've always heard kids should have whole milk in those early years because they need the fat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My kids' doctors and USDA food program when I did home daycare said no milk till age 1, then whole milk for a year. Age 2 you can drop it to 2%. When I was inspected for daycare I was required to have those kinds of milk in stock at all times based on the ages of kids currently in my home.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 10:25 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• "We always had real orange juice for breakfast and now all I see here at CM is that you shouldn't feed kids juice unless it is diluted with water."

Carpy- It's no orange juice for babies because it can be really hard on their digestive system with all the acid. My older son couldn't drink it without getting diarrhea until he was 18 months. After they can tolerate it, OJ is/should be considered a food item. I don't allow my kids to drink juice (even watered down) unless it's special circumstances... but we have OJ with breakfast every morning. It's all the apple/grape etc... juice that kids suck down all day long that needs to be watered down if you're going to give it at all. I prefer to give water.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• And yes, I've heard of a lady giving 2% to her kids starting at 6 months old... and I told her what an idiot she was. Kids need fat for brain development. Human milk or Formula until age 1 because they need the extra iron until they are eating a good variety of solid foods... and then human milk or whole milk after that. I still get whole milk for my 5 year old!

Giving 2% milk at a young age is risking brain development in two ways. First, is not enough fat and second is anemia. Cows milk leeches iron from the bowels through tiny fissures and if it's not replaced in the diet it can cause anemia. Anemia in infants can cause mental and physical development problems.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:02 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Carpy- It's no orange juice for babies because it can be really hard on their digestive system with all the acid. My older son couldn't drink it without getting diarrhea until he was 18 months. After they can tolerate it, OJ is/should be considered a food item. I don't allow my kids to drink juice (even watered down) unless it's special circumstances... but we have OJ with breakfast every morning. It's all the apple/grape etc... juice that kids suck down all day long that needs to be watered down if you're going to give it at all. I prefer to give water.

Answer by LeanneC an hour
    ---------------------------------
    CARPY?
    I don't see OJ as a bad thing. It might be a food item but my toddlers drank it with no problem. Of course if it results in digestive problems,then they shouldn't drink it.
    I really think Moms need to do what they thnk is right.The USDA 's advice and their food pyramid stuff is BS.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 12, 2011