Joe Wilson's "you lie" to be engraved on a limited edition line of assault rifle components, thoughts?

Rep. Joe Wilson's (R-S.C.) health care-era "you lie" interruption of President Obama is now reportedly being commemorated with a place on a new, limited edition line of assault rifle components.

The Columbia Free Times reports that the words are being engraved on a series of lower receivers manufactured for popular AR-15 assault rifles. Lower receivers are one of the primary pieces of the firearms.

"Palmetto State Armory would like to honor our esteemed congressman Joe Wilson with the release of our new 'You Lie' AR-15 lower receiver," the weapon manufacturer's site writes in the product description. "Only 999 of these will be produced, get yours before they are gone!"

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:42 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• My thoughts are that 95% of the people who have an issue with it don't even know what a lower receiver is or how common it is for people to buy one.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:45 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• That's disgusting.

I wonder how many Sarah Palin will order.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:45 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't know what a lower receiver is. What is it?

I don't have an issue with it though. It's a private company creating a product they think they have a product for. Not to mention, Obama has lied. It was rude of Wilson to yell it out, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:46 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• a market for*
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't have an issue with it though. It's a private company creating a product they think they have a product for. Not to mention, Obama has lied.

So on an ASSAULT RIFLE COMPONENT....what is the message?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My opinion? That is really tacky,.No, wait.....it is sick.
    Joe WIlson is an idiot. People who buy that and approve of him are idiots too.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

It's the base piece of a rifle that you use to build from - you have to add the barrel, stock and everything else to it - it's the equivalent of a car's frame. The vast majority of gun owners will never even see one by itself, let alone purchase one. The only people who would are people who collect, refurbish or repair weapons. The only reason you would ever need one is to replace a broken one or build a gun from scratch (or to have a collectible thing to keep in a box on a shelf). Getting upset about this would be like getting upset about a limited edition fantasy sword that only final fantasy geeks would ever buy. (and the sword would be more dangerous, since a lower receiver by itself is useless).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't know what the message is. I don't own a gun, and I don't like guns. Not my thing.

What do you think the message is? I'm assuming you've spoken with the company and know exactly what their message is from your aggressive tone.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

LOL so true. They will over react and call it tacky without knowing what it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• ASSAULT RIFLE - left wing talking point for I DON'T HAVE THE FIRST CLUE ABOUT GUNS BUT I THINK THEY LOOK VERRRRRY SCAWWWWWWY!!!!!!!!
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:53 AM on Jan. 12, 2011