how old should a kid be to get a cell phone?

gardenchic

Asked by gardenchic at 9:46 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well.. my kids are only 6, 3 & 1 month.. & yes I've already been asked by two of them for a cell phone! lol. I'm not really sure what age I'm actually going to get them one.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• 12-15. why would they need one any younger. school has phones they can use if they need to call from there.
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I bought my son his when he started Middle School, he was 11. I will do the same for my DD.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Any age you find appropriate, it differs from one family to the next. Some people will have strong opinions on this subject but I feel that if someone wants their child to have an immediate form of communication on them when they are away from their family, then I see nothing wrong with that choice, regardless of how old/young they are.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My son was 10.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My 9 and 11 year olds have them because if they are at a friends house or out with their friends I want them to be able to contact me if needed, they are both very responsible with their phones so I think that is a good age..
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i dont think there is a set in stone age. i think the answer depends on each family and each circumstance. where it might be appropriate for one family to get their 10 year old a cell phone, it might not be appropriate for the next family. i havent decided yet when i think mine will need one. my oldest is 4 so i have a long time to stew over this!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My oldest was 13 and my second was 12. We basically got them because it was easier to coordinate rides for practice, etc. and then I didn't have to sit around waiting for them when practice went longer than it was supposed to. But really it depends on the kid and on the situation. My younger two won't get them until at least 12 though.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• When they have a need for one and when they have demonstrated that they are responsible enough to use it correctly and keep up with it. Most children are getting them too soon!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I believe that is personal choice. I orginally thought I would wait til high school. When my oldest started 7th grade he went to a charter school and was in school until 4:35, plus he had performances after school, so he got a cell phone then. I thought that my other children would get them at the same time 7th grade.

This past summer my DD got very sick and was in the hospital for 2 months. Since I was about 45 minutes away with my DD and my DH has to go back to work we got a cell phone for our 6th grader. We wanted him to be able to get in touch with us at any moment. It has been great because even though our DD was doing great she got sick again at Thansgiving and we were in and out of the hospital again.

So I think every family needs to make the decision for themselves.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2011