Pajamas...

Do your kids wear pajamas every night to bed or do you always leave them in the clothes they've been wearing all day? I was brought up to always change in to pajamas and I kind of feel like it's more natural and hygienic, so I teach my kids to do that. I try not to judge too much but my (step)daughter's other family does not change her into PJs at all. I figured cafemom would give me the HARSH truth (please be gentle ladies, I'm not the devil because I worry about my baby, thank you)... Do you think it's a big deal to let a child wear the same clothes day and night?

She also comes back without underwear or hats/gloves/scarves even though it's freezing. I bought some extra pajamas, underwear, and outerwear and sent them over there with her but still no luck.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I put my children in pjs.but when I'm in school at night I find my husband doesn't. He takes off pants and let's them sleep in the shirt they wore. It does bug me, but he really can't change our wiggly girls. I get in from school at 10pm so I'd much rather them be in bed an asleep than waiting up that late for me to get home to put them in pjs. I think it would be different if they weren't home all day. They don't get that messy
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:32 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• There are much bigger issues in life. Whether a child is in PJs or clothes is not a big one. imho Is your child fed, bathed, healthy? Those are the bigger issues. Does it wear clothes out fast? Yes but I would not make too big of a fuss over this one. Is it irritating? Of course, but this is where the age old pick and choose your battles comes in. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I think that's really sad. My kids always wear pj's...it goes with their whole bedtime routine. Bath, jammies, brush teeth and then bedtime story. They also both love wearing their pj's!
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:02 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• In some families PJ's are a big deal, in others not so much. I change my toddler into jammies every night (he always gets food on himself or is dirty from playing!), but the older kids sleep in their underwear or occasionally the shirt they wore that day. I don't think it's a big deal.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:03 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My kids are not allowed to wear their everyday clothes to bed. My problem is not getting them to wear their pjs, it's getting them out of them!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:06 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I think it is GROSS to sleep in clothes you have been wearing all day. Why not have PJs over at her dad's house and just keep them there? If you want her in PJs at her dad's house, her dad needs to provide them. I have seen a lot of moms/step moms on here who have problems with the cothes and the way the other side dresses the children. I feel that the best solution is each parent buys clothes and the clothes stay at that house then just send the child back in the clothes they came in (washed of course)
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:09 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Thanks. I figured it was just another thing to get irritated about. It's hard when you're not the only parents your children takes direction from. I am trying to keep my emotions separate from my actions. I just want what's right for her. The problem is that everyone has a different opinion of what's "right".
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• OP I understand your dilemma. It is a rough spot to be in. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My son has a bath every night and then he puts on pj's. He is 3 and the amount of dirt, snot, etc... he manages to get on his clothes is gross. I can't imagine making him sleep in them.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 10:24 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My 4 yo daughter wears pj's every night...my grown-up boys did too when they were little. Now they just crash in their clothes. It started out wearing undies to sleep in and progressed to this. We lived in a house where their rooms were extremely hot in the winter due to having old-fashioned radiators in their rooms. Rest of the house had floorboard heaters. The rest of the house would be freezing and we couldn't adjust the radiators anymore due to their age and condition.
    Mim4

Answer by Mim4 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 12, 2011