Preventing Freezer Burn?

I'm going through my freezer (we're moving), and I've found so many things that are ruined because of freezer burn. Urgh, what a waste!

How do you prevent it? Vacuum sealer? (Obviously I also need to pay better attention to what's in there, I had steaks that were over a year old.)

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 10:13 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I typically double-bag or pre-wrap things in foil or plastic wrap and then am dutiful about squeezing all the air out of a freezer bag before putting things in the freezer. I label everything, and when I stock the freezer, I pull out things into a milk crate one section at a time and put the new stuff on the bottom of whichever section it goes in(it's a drawer freezer with 2 baskets on the bottom and a pull-out drawer on top) and the things from the crate on top. That way I always use up what I already had first.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:16 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Keep air out of the package. But even if it's sealed up tight in the freezer food still has a shelf life - you can't keep stuff in there indefinitely.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:15 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• That's a really good idea, missesnick - I always am dumping new stuff in on top of the old, and never getting to the "older" stuff. I know that's a big part of my problem. I need to rotate my stock!! :)
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would recommend wrapping foods in freezer paper and marking the date that it was put in the freezer.Of course, their is a time limit on how long foods can actually be in the freezer which at some point will start to remove the moisture from the foods in there.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• try and use things up faster. It is the air that gets into the package that causes it. You can freee in water or a marinade if you don't want to vacuum seal.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 8:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2011