My son is 7 and just asked me to read him Harry Potter. He is below grade level in reading and I want to find something more age appropriate but still something that I can read not like homework. I remember my dad reading Little House on the Prairie to me when I was little does any one have any suggestions or do you think since he choose Harry Potter I should go ahead and see if it holds his interest. Thanks!

tooaud2

Asked by tooaud2 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If likes and If you have the time maybe read. But if not than maybe books like the boxcar children, magic tree house series, the hardy boys, or even books about favorite animals.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 11:09 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would go ahead and start the Harry Potter.. and see if he likes it.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:26 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Absolutely read it to him!!!! Teachers love Harry Potter because children who didn't want to read or did poor in reading were motivated by the love for Harry Potter! As you read it to him you could point out words he has trouble with or long words and talk about them. Let him read a sentence or paragraph here and there. This could be the way to turn him around to an avid and skilled reader!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:28 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Definitely, definitely, definitely read it to him. Let your child be your guide. Don't let others tell you what his abilities are. You're so lucky he's interested in being read to and has a mommy who will do it. There are plenty of stories out there of kids underperforming only to be challenged with something they really love and then excel. Reading to him books he's interested in will keep him interested in reading.

Our boys are falling behind in reading. We need to give them books that they're interested in not us. Our Boys Are Falling Behind in Reading

Go for it! I used to teach school. I know how important it is for kids to read what they love.
    Amigram

Answer by Amigram at 10:36 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would do the book he asked for...It's a great book
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:26 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• The first books are a lower reading level. I'd go ahead and read them to him.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:27 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I'd try it and see if it holds his interest! If not, take him to a bookstore or library where the books are sectioned by age and let him pick something else.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:27 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• We read our kids Harry Potter at that age. And this summer I began reading it to my 5 yr old. My 11 yr old DD took over and they would cuddle on the couch and read together.

We also read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Tuck Everlasting, and all sorts of things that I cannot remember.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:28 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• What about some of the old classics like TOM SAWYER and HUCKLEBERRY FINN? Those have been holding the attention of boys for a very long time.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:30 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• yes read it!
    nwaskie

Answer by nwaskie at 10:30 AM on Jan. 12, 2011