Haiti

Anyone else wonder exactly where all the money raised went to? It's been a year since the earthquake and it all still looks the same to me. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The majority of the money went to the GOVERNMENT. Most of the food didn't even make it to who needed it the most. That is why I do NOT donate to countries with corrupt governments. Countries that have governments and people that HATE the US. I would rather take care of the impoverised, mentally ill, etc in the US.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Problem with giving money to corrupt nations is that the money goes to the Government and they use it for themselves. Thats why I generally do NOT give money for countries outside this one
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:30 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• A lot of the money went for food, temporary shelter, and medical supplies. The problem is that Haiti was a horribly impoverished country before the earthquake, a big investment was needed in simple things (clinics, for example) before any real reconstruction could be done.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:29 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• This is their statement on why:

"But one of his big problems, according to O'Brien, is that most members of Haiti's ruling class have done little to help, seeking only to profit on the back of their nation's catastrophe. "

"There's very few of the elite families that are actually doing a lot for Haiti," O'Brien said. "They're making massive profits on the importation of goods, products, services, everything ... Profiteering at a major scale is going on here," he said.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Again, like I said CORRUPT
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:42 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• For one, health care for those injured in the earthquake.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:27 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• it went to line people pockets and to buy all that shit that is still sitting in storage b/c of "red tape" or some bullshit they call it.....
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I recently heard that quite a bit of the monies pledged were never received!! People do that ALL THE TIME!! They jump on the bad wagon b/c they don't want to look like a schmuck but never send the money.
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 3:07 AM on Jan. 13, 2011