big cavity/infection?

I don't know how to ask this...I was told a month ago that I had a cavity that either needed pulled or I should have a root canal. I actually didn't believe the dentist because I never felt any pain or nothing. about 3 weeks ago I started having sinus infection symptoms. Yellow drainage, but all my pain has been associated in my jaw area. My tooth has all of a sudden began hurting too and is sensitive to cold fluids. So I'm wondering if the tooth is the cause of the infection or the sinus infection making the tooth more affected? Does that make sense? I know i'll need to take care of the tooth asap. Wondering if I should go get an antibiotic for the infection?

Roisin07

Asked by Roisin07 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Health

• Yes, it makes sense. Your tooth may be infected now. You'll need to take an antibiotic for a while before they'll do a root canal. If you want it pulled, I think they'll do that right away.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:32 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It very well could be the tooth, the dentist will prescribe an antibiotic if it's infected.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:32 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Call the dentist and set up an appointment. He will call in an antibiotic script for you to take before you get it pulled. With an infection around the tooth the numbing agent won't work well so you want it all gone - take ALL of the antibiotics even if you think it's fine after a few days.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:44 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It could have started out as a runny nose then the mucus drained down your throat and into your tooth causing an infection. Go to your dentist or it could become abscess and trust me you dont want to deal with that.
    LizzieAnnesMom

Answer by LizzieAnnesMom at 10:54 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Cavities also don't have to hurt....they cause pain when they are large enough that the food/fluid reaches the nerve.
    melissasue38

Answer by melissasue38 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Oh this is the tooth call your dentist right away as this can get really bad quick.
    deesam

Answer by deesam at 4:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• They will not pull a tooth if there is infection!get the root canal;,you can save your tooth,
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 5:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011