My daughter (almost 4) goes through "vomitting spells". Any ideas of what the doctors should test for? They seem to be hesitant unless I insist on tests. She has no fever, no aches, will just throw up. Mostly bile. I have been told maybe gall stones, I also have a niece with celiacs. Looking for suggestions.

sarahjean3

Asked by sarahjean3 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would definitely have them first look at reflux. While it usually goes away once a child starts walking, some children have problems beyond infancy. Talk to her doctor about it, and they may refer you to a pediatric GI.

For now, I suggest avoiding acidic foods (orange juice, tomatoes, spicy foods), and greasy foods.

If it is reflux, they will prescribe something that will keep it under control so that she can eat as she wants to. My daughter has reflux as well,and will vomit randomly, despite not being sick.

Good luck!
    Cymbeline

Answer by Cymbeline at 11:29 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Does she do a lot of coughing before throwing up? I know it may sound crazy, but 2 of my 3 asthmatic kids would just start coughing hard and then throw up. When a friend's dtr starting doing it, I told her I bet it was asthma. She took her to the dr and sure enough she was diagnosed w/ asthma. It's another possibility to consider.
    mnews

Answer by mnews at 11:38 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• My 4 year old has a very weak stomach. If he sees me change his sister's poopy diaper, it's not uncommon for him to throw up. Does she get grossed out easily?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Have they explained the reason to your satifaction? If not, see a physician who does. If you want tests, insist on them if that is what they are waiting for. When a mother is uncomfortable with a child's behaviors, something needs to change. Do you suspect celiac's? Is this how your neice started? Ask her parents about what lead up to the diagnosis so you know if this is similar at least. Make sure your physician is aware of this. Does she get hysterical and vomit? Some children do and that is a horse of a different color. Regardless of the cause, the doctor should be explaining what is being ruled out and why.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 12:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I was thinking acid reflux too.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Celiac can be tested through a simple blood test. Have you tried that? If not, I would start her on a gluten free diet and see if that works. Remember it can take up to 6 weeks to free the system of toxins if she does have a gluten intolerance.
    Brenna

Answer by Brenna at 9:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• i took my son to his dr alot his first year for multiple symptoms, rash, wheezing, constipation, and vomitting. the dr kept treating for whatever was going on at the time, finally a few months after he turned 1, the dr ordered an allergy test. (blood drawn) come to find out he was allergic to milk and eggs. once we got him off of those, everything was normal for him. maybe she has some type of allergy to something in her normal diet.
    domnmarismom

Answer by domnmarismom at 2:26 AM on Jul. 17, 2008