i have a 7 yr old in 1st grade who has just started showing signs of adhd......the teacher says he ahs trouble staying focused in class....I myself have noticed that he a

He is an A student but his teacher says that if she has to constantly get his attn. and he has to sit at the front of the class........I asked if he was bored and she said no because he does not know the information (whatever she may be talking about at that time).....she says he is daydreaming.....................but at home he can sit for hours ( if i let him) with his legos, he can take a pile of legos and build whatever he has pictured in his head and coloring or drawing he takes his time, he is a perfectionist when it comes to drawing, making something or coloring.

He has never been a hyper child.......i just don't understand where this is coming from and it has gotten way worse since he was out of school for the Holidays.

Correction:...........he is hyper but he use to not be!!....He just acts silly silly silly:)  

I hope this is just a stage that boys go thru:)

abbie0410

Asked by abbie0410 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would be surprised if it's ADHD, I had one diagnosed ADHD, and he showed signs from a birth...well, actually while I was pregnant. He was extremely active while I was pregnant, and as a baby and pre-schooler, just couldn't be still for a minute. Even in his sleep he tossed and turned.

Maybe something he's eating is causing this? or even over-stimulation. Maybe he's sitting next to someone who is distracting him in class? Or maybe there's something else on his mind? I wouldn't be to quick to go along with the ADHD diagnosis (actually I didn't even agree with this diagnosis with my son and he did eventually outgrow it without medication.)

I'd explore other possible reasons for his behavior.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Not totally sure, although he might find school boring or not challenging enough. I would talk to him and see what he thinks of school. You can talk to the doctor and have him tested for ADHD. I think some kids that are bored in school become labeled as ADHD because they look like aren't focusing enough and disrupting the class.

Also, i would have his eyes checked. I know someone whose son needed to take breaks when doing school work because his eyes bothered him. He would get in trouble until finally they took him to the doctor and got it corrected.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Kind of does sound like ADHD. Take him to the doctor for an evaluation. My son has ADHD and can sit for hours watching movies or playing video games...because there are constant flashes on video games that keep their attention even though they aren't seen.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

Answer by ohwrite

THANK YOU!! My son also has ADHD and I said I knew when I was pregnant, he was so active! Nobody believed me!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:02 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• He sounds like a normal 7 year old to me. He sounds exactly like all of the wiggle worms I see at girl scouts along with all of the 6-7 yr olds from all of the classes my kids take. Kids that age are wiggly - they dont need a label.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Surroundings. Being in the classroom with all the other kids might be making him anxious. My granddaughter was like that in kindergarten too. Right away they wanted her tested for ADHD. After a year of testing, we decided to wait to see how she did over the summer, but asked for a teacher who was experienced in working with children who were anxious. We got a super teacher this year, and she feels granddaughter is perfectly normal. No meds. So, again, check up on that teacher, sometimes kids just don't click with the teacher or that particular environment.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:37 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If he hasn't always been like this, it may be that he is just bored. Did the teacher mention ADHD or is that your assessment?
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Have you ever sat in the class?
    It makes a big difference when you actually see what the teacher is talking about. And you might also notice what is distracting your son. I bet that he is not the only one who is getting unfocused. Times are hard and teachers has it hard, when they have so many students in 1 classroom with only 1 teacher. The obvious is that the some of the kids are going to get lost in the crowed, all kids don't learn at the same speed they need help.... sorry to go on and on!
    But really try to sit in the classroom with your son :)
    Actress-mom81

Answer by Actress-mom81 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• He can be ADD without the H (hyperactivity) I would take him to your dr. and get an evaluation done by a professional to be certain. The teacher wouldn't have brought it to your attention if there wasn't something going on, but it isn't necessarily ADD, that is why you should have it checked out. I think that after the holidays is always a hard time, it is difficult to get all the kids back on track. I would also look into any environmental changes that might be affecting him. Emotional responses can sometimes take on these characteristics. And, one last bit of advice is to try to get him into a good bedtime, earlier bedtime routine, if you don't already. Best wishes, and good for you for looking into it further!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have an 8 year old son in the second grade who is displaying the same signs as your son. I know my son can do the work because he does it at home it is just when the teacher hands them papers they are to do at their desks he gets it all wrong but when he brings the paper home and I explain to him what needed to done and how it was to be done, he gets it and then and can do the work himself with no mistakes.

It was suggeted I write a letter to his school and ask for an evaluation. He attends a private school but it still can be done through the public schools and it is free!
    littlemissali

Answer by littlemissali at 12:27 AM on Jan. 13, 2011