Nap-time...

At what age should children stop taking naps?

AnnHenderson

Asked by AnnHenderson at 3:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

• When they are ready. I have taken naps for as long as I can remember. My body needs them. Even as an adult.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Never! LOL! My son is 4 and he stopped taking naps about 8 mos ago. Not by my choice of course. Now I just try and have "quiet time" where he can sit and do a puzzle or look at a book or color or something quiet. Which helps. I'd say a child should stop taking naps when they decide to stop. My son doesn't need it, so I just adjust his bedtime accordingly. He used to go to bed at 9 or 930 when he took a nap, now he's in bed by 8.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My daughter is 2 1/2 and goes without some days (even though I still put her in bed). It's so frustrating because I'm not ready to let go of that "break". I think my boys gave them up about 3 years old.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• my daughter is 2 1/2 and takes a nap most of the time. even if she dont sleep she still has to stay in her bed and have quite time.
    haileyraesmommy

Answer by haileyraesmommy at 3:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• At 2, and I am not selfish enough to put my kid in their bed for quiet time so I can get a break
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Children need down time and it's not selfish to put them in their room for a relaxation period. I keep my daughter in her room even if she's not sleeping and she's perfectly fine. She's not in there screaming her head off...she couldn't be happier! She gets her whole room to herself without her big brothers annoying her.

Man I just don't get some of these women!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• There's no set age. It's when the child is ready. You'll know, they won't want to sleep at naptime or they'll try to stay up all night at bedtime if they do nap.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 8:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2008