Why do ppl say speak of the devil when someone walks into a room or calls when they were just talking about them~ Good or bad shouldn't we say speak of the lord?

or calls when they were just talking about them~ Good or bad shouldn't we say speak of the lord?

sparkle0940

Asked by sparkle0940 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Here's your info. I love Wikipedia.

"The phrase is an abbreviation of English proverb, "Speak of the devil and he doth appear." Deriving from the Middle Ages, this proverb (which was, and to a certain extent still is, rendered as "Talk of the Devil...") was a superstitious prohibition against speaking directly of the Devil or of evil in general, which was considered to incite that party to appear, generally with unfortunate consequences. Its first printed usage in modern English can be found in Giovanni Torriano's Piazza Universale (1666), as "The English say, Talk of the Devil, and he's presently at your elbow." "

Answer by gdiamante at 11:41 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Um, I think most of the time people are talking bad about others so I would go with the devil on that one. Saying "Speak of the Lord" sounds really blasphemous to me.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It's an expression, nothing more, nothing less.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:13 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• no because i think it means its out of the blue like not planned and personally i think it doesn;t sound right to say speak of the lord. imo. i think the statement is being looked into a little too literal.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• no - i think traditionally & religiously speaking the saying came about because the devil has ways of popping up when unexpected and the lord is always there. its not really meant to be offensive nowadays, its just saying "oh we were JUST talking about you. how ironic. speak of the devil" you know. nothing to get worked up over.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I think it's because of the old belief that if you "speak of the devil" the devil arrives.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I always thought the phrase was a gentle teasing of the person who arrived, implying they were "naughty" in some way, like "oh, speak of the devil... I heard what happened at..." To say "speak of the lord" would be the opposite and wouldn't that place them on a pedestal you're supposed to reserve for God?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:16 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Here is another link http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/speak-of-the-devil.html for more info.

It was far too much to C&P here. It's kind of like "Look what the cat dragged in."

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2011