Good deed for the day?

We took all the nuts leftover from Christmas and dumped them in the snow. the squirrels have had a blast all morning....and their tummies are full.

charlottej

Asked by charlottej at 11:11 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Pets

• We did that too, and the kids had a great time watching them. Now, they want to keep buying nuts to feed the squirrels. LOL I think we'll start getting the corn cobs you can buy with the bird seed - a lot less expensive than nuts. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:13 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• recycling too! What a great idea!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:13 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• You have very lucky squirrels but just a quick word to the wise, I wouldn't feed them near your home. They will start to seek shelter near the easy food source, which can become your attic, and they can become a dangerous nuisance very quickly . Squirrels in attics are responsible for electrical fires in many homes. Keep feeding the squirrels if it is something you enjoy, but do it away from your homes. A park is a better place.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:38 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• That's awesome! I wonder what can I do to help someone else today?
    vany77

Answer by vany77 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Thanks for the advice spottedpony (love the screen name)! We put the nuts out by the woodpile. We have a lot of deer in the neighborhood and the apples are starting to go bad. We'll put those out tonight. I usually dispose of celery and carrots like this for the rabbits. Thankfully, we have a fence and no cats. Ihesitate to feed the birds because I've heard that if they think they can get food all winter, they won't fly south as they should--and are more likely to die. Don't know if that's true.
    charlottej

Comment by charlottej (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• We feed the birds here and we have deer, coyotes, fox and well, you name it. I love the deer. My aunt has wild turkeys at her place, which are really fun to see! The rabbits are scarce here though because my dogs think it is fun to chase them off the property. The squirrels climb up the trees and laugh at the dogs. You can feed the birds, it actually helps give them energy as they migrate. My understanding is that it is genetics and daylight that affect the migration patterns more than the access to easy feedings. I think it is true because our robins definitely leave, even though we have the food for them.

Although I understand the geese are having big problems with migration and making the efficient V flight patter that they are supposedly genetically wired to do. Hmmmm...

Oh, and when I die and come back as a rabbit, I want your address!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• lol, thats such a cute idea!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I've been feeding the birds wild bird seed in a bird feeder I got for my birthday. They must be eating it , because it sure was empty in a few days, and I see them hiding under the deck of our pool a lot when they see us coming.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2011