does anyone know any good remedies for sore nipples from breastfeeding?

My little guy is almost a week old and he eats all the time! I really want to continue breastfeeding him but I cant if my nipples are so sore. Any good ideas to help?

Rileysmommy22

Asked by Rileysmommy22 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They sell this creams for breast feeding in the baby isle that works wonders!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Rub some breast milk on the nipple and then let it completely dry before covering up. the milk will soothe and will also keep from cracking.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:33 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Lansinoh and breast milk are your two cures.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:37 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Lanolin cream or ointment.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:41 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Lansinoh and bm i used. My lactation consultant (md) also perscribed 'tripple nipple cream". Its called that b/c it's made of 3 long, hard to prounounce ingrediants. You need a script for it. but it worked even better for me than the first two.

also, don't shower or bathe with really hot water and don't use any soap on the breasts, it will only dry them out more.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:44 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Lanolin cream is awesome!! The brand name is Lansinoh, but the store brands are just as good and a little cheaper. You can get it at Wal-mart or any drugstore.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Definitely Lanolin cream! You might also want to try to get the nipple further into his mouth. From what my lactaction consultant SIL told me, a poor latch can cause soreness.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Lansinoh is good, but personally, I prefer Motherlove Nipple Cream. It's olive oil based, and I'm only able to find it online, but a friend said she saw it in her local Whole Foods.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• A little breastmilk and a little more time. The first week and a half for me was painful, not to mention the uterine cramping every time she latched, but by week two most soreness and pain was gone. Looking back those two weeks weren't so bad and considering the amazing start you're giving you child the pain is beyond worth it. If it continues longer than 2 weeks I'd see a lactation consultant you may have a bad latch.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• al natural lanolin cream helps
    lillymom828

Answer by lillymom828 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2011