How cold is too cold?

We live in Oklahoma and all of the other area public schools have been closed for the extreme wind chill factors (single digit reg. temps, negative wind chill factors). But, our public schools are not closed. We cancel Girl Scouts when the public schools close and I canceled our meeting last night even though our town had school because it was just too cold, but some parents were upset. I think if there is a wind chill advisory, you should want to keep your child in.  What do you think?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 11:38 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think you were right in doing what you did.

Answer by older at 11:40 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Our schools close when it hits below zero but I think that the wind chill should count, the wind is what makes it so cold!!!!
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Here in Utah they don't care if it's single digits, school still runs. There has has ot be at lease 3 ft or more on the ground before they'll close schools here. I would want to keep my child home with a wind advisory, There is one today that makes the temperature -7 degrees and I didn't send my daughter to school. It's to freaking cold outside to stand and wait for the bus.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I live in Wisconsin and they schools do NOT close until it is 25 below with a below zero windchill. It has to be REALLY COLD. I remember going to school when it was 40 below zero. Closing school because it is cold is ridiculous. Parents always have the option of NOT sending their child to school when they feel the weather is too nasty.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I'm not really asking about school, I'm asking about extra-curricular things like Girl Scouts.

scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Here in WI they will cancel if the constant wind chill temp is going to be -20.... If its 10 or below they let them in the school early and don't send them out for recess.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Im in NC and they dont cancel school when it gets cold and I completely disagree with them. We had some weather not long ago where it was in the teens and with the windsheild it was 0 degrees and they still had school. I told a mom someone is going to fall down and get hurt. Sure enough the next day there was an ambulance out there because someone had fallen and broke their leg. After that my dd got sick and had to stay home. I told the teacher after that when I see the weather is that cold not to expect my child to be there.

My dd is also in cheer after school. We moms dont bring them out when its too cold, too snowy, or what have you. We wont bring them when its rainy either. The coach knows this.

Answer by gemgem at 11:54 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I think it's up to you. In Chicago don't close for anything. My kids went to a Catholic school and I refused to send them to school 2 days one year because the temp was -15 and the windchill was -35 but the school was still open (although all the other Catholic schools in the area were open). We walk and it was just too freaking cold. They did cancel all after school activities and my dd's GS leader canceled meetings because of weather. Although we were laughing last year because I remember the year before they had a bowling field trip and there happened to be a blizzard that day (the snow was crazy).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2011