Is your child perfect?

I drive a school bus and it amazes me that some parents will not accept the fact that their children are not perfect little angels. I love my job and I love children, but all children have the ability to do wrong, and most do at some point or another. I had to kick a 6th grade boy off the bus yesterday for bullying 2 really nice little girls. This is a boy that I've had numerous problems with from the start of the year, and he lives just down the road from me so I know his family. When I called him mother to explain what happened and why he was being kicked off she was so mad she actually hung up on me. There was no way she was going to believe that another adult could be telling the truth about her precious child, when in fact the school has actually had problems with him as well.
So my question is, if you get a call from the school or the bus driver or another adult saying they had a problem with your child do you believe them and deal with your child, or do you assume they must be mistaken because there is just no way that could ever be your precious baby?

Quentinsmamma

Asked by Quentinsmamma at 11:40 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• LOL, no my kids aren't perfect, but thankfully they act much better in public than they do at home. (c: I understand where you're coming from, dealing with parents was one of my least favorite parts of being a classroom teacher.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:42 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• There is no such thing as a perfect child, and those who think they have one are in for a rude awakening.

Answer by older at 11:43 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• As perfect as I want him. He is perfect to me but by no means is he actually perfect because there is no such thing as a perfect person.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Of COURSE my child is perfect! ;)

Anyway, yes, I would believe them and I would talk with my son about it. He'd be in a world of trouble if he was bullying.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:43 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• She is no where near perfect. But before I do anything, I want the whole story and also to hear from the other child or parents (if involved).
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• The rule in our home was always that if you got in trouble at school or anywhere else, you were in much more trouble at home. I honestly think it's easier to blame someone else and ignore the facts than it is to correct, discipline and train your own children. So I guess most take the easier road and blame people like you. I'm sorry for that, but please just keep on doing your job. Some of us do appreciate your efforts!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:44 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Oh hell yes my children are perfect. They can possibly do no wrong . How dare you suggest otherwise?!

:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I always dealt with it and I never thought my kids were perfect.
    Moms who don't want to deal with reality are afraid that they will be told they are bad Moms. How many questions do we see here that begin with "AM I a bad mom....." ??? They need to face the facts and realize there are no perfect children. and that they are not "bad Moms". Reality and facing facts is always the best way to raise kids.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• well my dd is far from perfect....but i love your answer anon!
    cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Thank you NannyB I really appreciate that. This has been a tough year for me driving bus because this year I have my own kids on my bus route and I get to see how they act in that setting, and it has been a bit unsettling for me :) plus I've driving all my neighbors kids which makes it a little more personal when someone does get into trouble.
    Quentinsmamma

Comment by Quentinsmamma (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Jan. 12, 2011