sleepless.....

my three year old dd is waking up at least 5 times a night not wanting to sleep she goes to a babysitters during the day while i work is it ok for me to tell the baby sitter to not let her take naps? how do i get her to sleep through the night?? help!!

cielo1

Asked by cielo1 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am sitter and i dont let the children nap i run them ragged all day so by time the parents pick them up they are ready for a warm bath dinner and bed, it is perfectly ok to tell your sitter you dont want her napping. Also make sure there are no distractions in the rooms lights, or televison
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Is this recent ? My son only naps at Daycare and that means WE are up til midnight.. I am thinking of telling her not to let him nap either.. my son is 3 and never been a great sleeper and wakes somenights up to 5 times also.. is she scared? have you tried a nightlight? Is she complaining about anything at night? My son ( i think ) is going through growing pains and complains about his legs hurting.. he also gets scared in the dark so he has a green nightlight which is more soothing..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• she has a night light...yes she has been doing this for three days now...
    cielo1

Comment by cielo1 (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I work at a preschool and have had several parents concerned about naptimes. If you have a personal sitter, then it would be your choice, but if it's a multiple child situation, then it would be difficult to keep them up (in preschools the nap ration is higher because the children are asleep and if they are awake, they have to have more people, that's generally when the directors work in lunch breaks for teachers due to the higher ratio limits) She could have gotten her sleep schedule confused and has gotten into a pattern she can't break. You could have an incentive to keep her in bed, like multiple stickers, M&M's or something. If she gets up you take one. If she stays in bed all night she gets to keep them all. Or you could do print an animal she likes and tell her if she gets up she will wake them up. If she keeps them asleep, she can pick a special toy, movie, etc. because she kept them asleep.
    Ms.Wendy83

Answer by Ms.Wendy83 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2011