how??

how do i get my 3 yr old dd to mind me? when i ask her to pick her toys up she cry and tells me to pick them up..and this happens in more than one subject...how do i get her to listen to me?

cielo1

Asked by cielo1 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have you tried time out when she doesn't mind?
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• MAke clean up time fun sing a song make a game of it & when she is not listening to you make sure theres a consequence
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I'll give a bump. I"m in the same boat with my 3 yr old.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• You don't give in to her demand, and harp at what you want her to do, and if not time out or some sort of punishment.

Answer by older at 11:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I do timeouts and just wear her down. I don't give in and if I do, it's to give in and put the toys in the trash and then they don't come back out.

She gets a time out for sassing, then once it's over, she has to go pick up. If she still sasses, repeat. I only repeat 4 times and then I pick them up and they get trashed.

I do this for all issues. It's fine by me if she wants to spend all her time in timeout...I can still go do the things that I need to do while she is sitting there.. Oh, and her time doesn't start until she is quiet and her hands are on her legs.
    I have been doing this since she was 2.

Your will has to be stronger than hers is and you have to be calm about it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• do it with her at first - set a timer and make a game of it. In a couple of days tell her to try it on her own and then give her a small reward (like an apple).
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 11:54 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• if i put her in time out she screamsbloody murder...i live in an apartment...its very overwhelming..i dont know what to do sometimes...and i have tried to make it fun for her...she still dont do it a friend of mine siad to take all but 3 or 4 toys and hide them in the trunk of the car for a week or so...

cielo1

Comment by cielo1 (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• banging head into walli have that problem also.. she has an attitude like a 15 yr old.... its so stressful i feel like im failing as a mother.

and it goes on and on she is sooo bad for me  but with anyone  else wow its like a whole different child....

cielo1

Comment by cielo1 (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• SHOW her what you want her to do. She's not a teen, she's 3. Teach her.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i know that admckenzie its not like im treating her like that i show her and then tell her its her turn... and i siad her attitude is like a 15 yr old......

cielo1

Comment by cielo1 (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2011