At what age did your child(ren) get their own computer?

Just curious. My son is 8.5 & he has monitored access to our desk top computer. I know as he gets older, he'll need more & more access for school.

sweetpotato418

Asked by sweetpotato418 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My oldest is 12. I also have an 8 and 10 year old. They all share one. I told him when he saved up some of his allowance to help towards one he might get one. He hasn't tried to save, so he hasn't gotten one. It amazing how they rethink things they want if they have to contribute. Lol
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Probably in 3rd or 4th grade level as they start doing independant project. It would also be good to learn now to type.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Mine was 13 when he got his own laptop and it was only because I didn't like the one I bought and gave him mine so I could get a new one.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My daughter is 11 is just got a laptop, only because she had heart surgery and is out of school for 4=5 weeks. Her 8 yr.old brother thinks he needs one, not uintil at least 12. I know not fair, but alot of school work starts online at that time. good luck.
    laur1963

Answer by laur1963 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• None of them have computers. They are 10, 9, 8 and 4 1/2. In fact they aren't even allowed to touch the computer at home. We have 1 (barely) working computer at the moment and I don't need them screwing it up. Not to mention they refuse to follow the rules when using it (sneaking off to sites I haven't approved, getting on my facebook without permission to play the games there) and fight over it. They can only use it for school work.
    At the most they will share this computer with my husband once I get MY computer fixed (hopefully by the end of the month or next month). Hubby is also thinking of getting himself a laptop so then he'd have that and the kids will share this computer..for schoolwork. They don't need to be online, they have enough games and crap with the Wii, xbox and DSs.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Technically my son has his own computer. I got a laptop for school so he gets to use the desktop. It is ancient and doesn't work really well but he loves it. He doesn't get much time on it though. He is only 5. I won' t really get him his own comp till college probably.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:52 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I will be getting my kids their own in high school, because they are going to need it for school work. Right now they have a computer they use in the family room, and my husband and I have a laptop - but they have "screen time" so they aren't on it all that much anyway. But in 4th and 5th grade they are already doing Powerpoint presentations for school - I can definitely see they will need their own in highschool if not before!

Answer by missanc at 11:54 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My mother bought my 5 yr old niece her very own for Christmas, with how she plays with things, this thing will be broken in a matter of months.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• None of my kids has their own computer, but the older two have free access to the family computers. We won't get them laptops until they go to college.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 11:56 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My 5 yo has his own computer
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 12, 2011