how?

how do you raise a well behaved child? i have been noticing that my child acts like one of the kids off of nanny 911! help! and stubborn wow is she stubborn but when shes with my mom oh gosh my mom says jump she says how high.....uggggh....

cielo1

Asked by cielo1 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Obviously she wants to please grandma, kids usually outdo themselves with mom and at home only because they know they can get away with a lot! Ask grandma what she is doing that you are not.

Answer by older at 11:54 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• We have have had consistent rules and consequences, lived by example, treated our kids with respect and have followed through with promised punishments - and we were blessed with two really awesome kids.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Consistency is really the key. You have to decide on a discipline method and stick with it, whether it be at home or out. Never give in, even when they look up with you with that sweet puppy dog expression. Raising children is not for wimps. It's tough and you have to be tough. Sometimes, when you send them to their room crying, you actually have to go into the bathroom shut the door and cry yourself, but NEVER let them see that. LOL!    I am very proud that you are asking this question.. it makes me happy to see that people really care how others perceive their child, not just themselves.  That's important. 

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Consistency, rules, limits and consequences. TEACHING and SHOWING your child appropriate behaviors. Start from a very young age (I started at about 1 yr old). Don't fall for the tears, puppy dog eyes or the "you are a mean mommy", "you are not my friend", "I hate yous". Trust me, they will respect you more for the rules, etc than letting them do whatever they want.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i have tried the time out thing and it doesn't work to well...if i tell her im going to call her Nana she jumps up and does what i say...

cielo1

Comment by cielo1 (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• tyfry7496 yea she already gives me that your mean mommy and your not my friend and i hate you AT 3 i cant believe it i want people to look at her and say wow now that's a good kid her mother did well see i became a teen mother..still 19 (almost 20) and i have no one to help i moved from Florida to Texas and my whole family's in Florida... its so hard to be a mother....i dont regret having her i just wish i didn't spoil her when she was younger...but she was my pride and joy...trust me ill know all about pride an joy  when number two comes around...lol

cielo1

Comment by cielo1 (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Kids usually test their parents even though they behave beautifully with other adults. It is very important to constantly give encouragement and compliments for good behavior and try to ignore misbehaviors. You don't want to give your child attention for mibehaving (even in a negative way) or they will do it again and again. If you must react than its best to keep your voice even and follow through with age apporpriate consequences. Also setting good example is a must or your child will never take it from you.
    I recommend parenting classes to any mother who wants to do it right.
    AmyMand

Answer by AmyMand at 12:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Each of them has a "currency" which is THE most important thing to them. We used to take that away for an appropriate length of time as punishment. It won't necessarily be a toy. My youngest used to LOVE watching the trash truck. So, occasionally we would say he would not be allowed to watch it. Zero in on what makes her tick. Be Consistent!! Don't threaten something unless you really will do it. Like saying "you will never watch TV again". That is unrealistic and not something you can follow through on. Also, make sure she gets enough one on one time with you and your SO. Plus praise when she does things right. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2011